Guard Bill Courtney made a three-point shot to give Lee a two-point lead with 1:10 to play and center Derek Solomon hit four free throws in the final minute as the Lancers held off Annandale, 63-60, last night in a Virginia AAA Northern Region boys basketball tournament quarterfinal at Annandale.

With the victory, the Lancers (21-4) moved into the semifinals to play Chantilly on Friday night at Robinson.

Earlier, Annandale's girls edged W.T. Woodson, 52-50, as Amanda Cromwell hit two free throws with six seconds remaining to lead the Atoms into Thursday's semifinals against Langley at Robinson.

Courtney, and Solomon, who had 19 points and eight rebounds, each scored 10 points in the final period as Lee overcame a 55-50 deficit in the final 2:21. The Lancers held a 10-point halftime lead, but Willie Porter and Ray Crittenden (17 points each) led the Atoms (20-5) back while Chris Brown sat out most of the second half with foul trouble.

Courtney, who had 16 points, made the go-ahead shot and was the primary ballhandler as Lee broke Annandale's press in the final minute.

"Early on, the three-pointers were there, but it was Billy that brought us back,' Lee Coach Charlie Thompson said. "He certainly hit a very big shot at the end.'

Annandale made seven of nine shots in a 4:15 stretch as it cut a 36-26 deficit to 43-42 entering the last period. Three points from Mike Smith and two free throws by Crittenden gave the Atoms a five-point lead, but the Lancers outscored Annandale, 13-5, in the final 2:20.

The Atoms fell behind early, but with a half-court trap managed to cut Lee's lead to seven points twice in the second quarter. Porter scored six points in the second period, including a basket to cut the lead to 29-22. But Jeff Jividen (14 points) connected on a three-pointer and Lee held on to a 36-26 edge at the half.

In the girl's game, Cromwell's free throws capped a game that included 16 ties and 13 lead changes. The Atoms' senior point guard, who finished with 11 points and three assists, was fouled trying to receive an inbound pass by Nancy Stengel.

The free throws came 2:03 after Annandale began to hold the ball for the last shot. The Atoms committed a turnover with 59 seconds left, but got the ball back on a turnover.

"I just wanted us to control the destiny of the game," Annandale Coach Laura Hagan said. "Even if we missed a shot and they came back to score we would still have had our chance to win at the end."

W.T. Woodson led by two at the half, but never led by more than four, taking a 35-31 lead with 4:11 to play in the third quarter. Cromwell promptly cut it to 35-34 with a three-point shot and the lead for either side the remainder of the way was never more than three.