The biggest threat yesterday to Lee's perfect championship season wasn't First Colonial of Virginia Beach. It was the elements. The rain-drenched field with its slippery footing seemed likely to neutralize the Lancers' speed if the game could be played at all.

But after a 25-minute delay, in which the field was drained, the game began and quickly ended for First Colonial (12-4-1). Lee had little trouble with the messy turf and no trouble with the Patriots, scoring eight first-half goals en route to a 13-0 romp in the Virginia state girls soccer championship at Woodbridge.

"This is a goal accomplished," said third-year Lee Coach Christian Godart. "It's a great feeling to go after something, work hard and fight to overcome obstacles and finally get it."

The victory provided Lee (20-0) with its second state championship and first undefeated season. The Lancers, who defeated Maury by 2-0 in overtime for the 1985 title, are the second girls soccer team to finish undefeated; Lake Braddock went 20-0 in 1987.

The 13 goals also set a Virginia state championship record.

"To be honest, I wasn't surprised by the score. I expected it," said First Colonial forward Allison Smith. "They press well and go right to the ball. They are really aggressive."

Lee successfully spread the Patriots' defense and continuously found the open seams. And 5 1/2 minutes into the game the Lancers began putting together scoring combinations with ease.

The only goal Lee needed came at 5:46 as Jamila Ashford (two goals, one assist) took a pass from All-Met Player of the Year Jonnell Berry (four goals, three assists) and scored past goalkeeper Kathleen Overman. Brandy Stafford's two goals in the next four minutes, one with an assist from Ashford, increased Lee's lead to 3-0.

Sonja Platzer, Kirstyn Woodside (two goals, one assist), Kristen Beinlich and Katrina Baldueza (one goal, one assist) also scored for Lee. Kristi Dowe had an assist.

"I'm overwhelmed," said Berry, who has accepted a scholarship to play at James Madison. "I can't think of a better way to end my high school soccer career than to win a state championship."

In the boys championship, Cox from Virginia Beach -- which had never advanced past the state semifinals -- shocked Osbourn Park, 5-3. Cox, making its third state tournament appearance, lost to Woodbridge last season, 2-0, and to Lake Braddock in 1988, 3-0.

"I'm astounded," said Cox Coach Jim Snodgrass. "I knew we had the speed, the strength and the size to win. It was just a matter of how composed we stayed but I've always said we have people who can score."

It was an anticlimactic finish for the Yellow Jackets (17-1), who experienced a draining 1-0 state semifinal win over West Springfield, on Friday. It was the first time this season that Osbourn Park had given up more than two goals in a game.

It was an especially physical game in which officials issued nine yellow cards (five against Cox) and one red card against Cox. Trailing by 4-2, Osbourn Park played the final 19 minutes with a man advantage after Joey Frease was red-carded.

But Cox (15-0-1) added to the lead when John Forget converted a penalty kick with 16:28 remaining.

"After our first goal we thought we had it easy and didn't have to work hard anymore," said Osbourn Park's Jessie Skipwith, who scored two goals. "But they surprised us. We didn't think they would be able to put that many balls in the back of the net."

Osbourn Park led by 1-0 at 1:48 on a goal by Shawn Bearden. Cox then answered with three straight goals, by Jason Shedlock at 14:38, Ross Johnson at 16:17 and Geoff Turner at 34:48.

Osbourn Park pulled to 3-2 on David Clarke's goal at 52:28. But Cox came right back on a header by Shedlock at 55:24.