In his previous seven outings, Prince William's Ed Martel had pitched well but his teammates scored only 11 runs for him.

That changed yesterday afternoon as the Cannons totaled 12 hits at Prince William County Stadium and defeated the Durham Bulls, 4-1, in front of 8,383, including Virginia Lt. Governor Don Beyer and ex-Washington Senator Frank Howard.

Martel limited the Bulls to three hits through seven innings, raising his record to 3-7.

"This is just a continuation of what he's been doing the last eight or nine outings," said Prince William Manager Gary Denbo. "He's kind of the hard luck guy on our staff. . . . But his record isn't any indication of how he's throwing."

Mike Gardella, who had been out for nine days with tendinitis in his left shoulder, came on in the ninth and struggled a bit, but recorded his 12th save. That ties him with two others for the Carolina League lead.

The Cannons jumped on Brian Cummings (2-4) for four consecutive hits and two runs in the first inning.

Paul Oster opened the game with a double down the left field line and scored on Dave Silvestri's double to right field.

J.T. Snow, who had three hits and extended his hitting streak to 12 games, followed with a single to left-center field that scored Silvestri.

The Cannons (28-32) added two runs in the fourth when Kiki Hernandez drew a one-out walk and Dave Howell and Jason Bridges singled to load the bases.

After working an 0-2 count to 3-2, Mauricio Zazueta lined a hit to right field to score Hernandez and chase Cummings. Howell then scored on a sacrifice fly by Andres Rodriguez off Skipper Wright to score Howell.

The Bulls scratched out their only run in the seventh inning. Brian Champion led off with a walk. Theron Todd and Kevin Castleberry singled around Ed Alicea's flyout.

With one out and the bases loaded, Johnny Cuevas hit a fly ball to deep center field. Oster attempted to throw out Champion, tagging up from third, but his throw was late. However, Hernandez threw out Castleberry as he tried to advance to second, ending the Bulls' only rally of the game.