Unheralded District welterweight Darryl Lattimore, aggressive if not always accurate, last night scored what he hopes will be the first of two upsets with a 10-round unanimous decision over 10th-ranked Victor Davis at Coolidge High School.

Next up for Lattimore is a shot in August against International Boxing Federation welterweight champion Simon Brown -- if Lattimore's manager, Spencer Blanks, can match the $250,000 offered Brown by Davis's handlers.

"If they bring the money to the table, we'll take the fight," said Don Elbaum, Brown's promoter. "We'll be more than happy to fight Lattimore."

At least happier than Davis was. The 23-year-old Mitchellville, Md., fighter, one victory away from a chance at adding a belt to his wardrobe, walked away bloodied, battered and ultimately beaten.

Lattimore's persistence didn't seem to hurt Davis (22-7-1) in the first few rounds, but it prevented him from mounting an attack.

Once Lattimore (15-3) started landing, Davis began to shown signs of defeat. A Lattimore flurry in the opening seconds of the fifth opened a cut over Davis's right eye, and by the sixth Davis also was bleeding from the mouth.

"I was counter-punching over his right," said Lattimore, 27. "My left was {scoring} really well, and my right hooks were landing. I had to use everything tonight because Victor is a good fighter."

Lattimore appeared on the verge of finishing Davis with about 30 seconds left in the seventh. But Davis, who rarely moved for much of the round, finally came to life, scoring with several combinations before the bell.

It was a short-lived rally. For the remainder of the fight, Lattimore continued to press. He caught Davis early in the ninth with a left-right combination, then finished strong in the 10th.

"If we get a shot at the title, we will take it," Blanks said. "Money won't be any object as far as this fight is concerned. I think Darryl deserves a shot."

After the fight, Davis said only, "He was the better man tonight."

While Lattimore's victory never was in doubt, there was some question as to when the card would begin. The first bout started more than an hour later than advertised, and only four of the seven scheduled fights were contested.

Burtell Jefferson, chairman of the District of Columbia Boxing and Wrestling Commission, said a minimum of 32 rounds must be scheduled for a card to carry the organization's official sanction. The four fights at Coolidge -- two six-rounders, a four-round exhibition and the main event -- totaled 26 scheduled rounds.

"There are some cases when we can waive the rule for a good cause," said Jefferson, who allowed the card to maintain the sanction despite the cancellations. "We only do it if it's absolutely necessary."

In preliminary bouts, two District residents won six-round unanimous decisions over opponents from Alexandria. Welterweight Keith Holmes (9-0) outpointed Anthony Ross (7-6), and Lyndon Walker (4-2-1) rallied to defeat Anthony Suggs (3-2) at 136 pounds.