A Jaguar XJR12 driven by John Nielsen of Denmark, Price Cobb of the United States and Martin Brundle of Britain held its slim lead the last 12 hours to win the Le Mans 24 Hours race yesterday in Le Mans, France.

It was the seventh time a Jaguar won the race. A Mercedes won last year.

Second was a Jaguar driven by Jon Lammers of the Netherlands, Andy Wallace of Britain and Franz Konrad of West Germany.

Third was an all-British team of Tiff Needall, David Sears and Tony Reid in a Porsche 962C.

The Porsche 962C of Oscar Larrauri of Argentina, Jesus Pareja of Spain and Walter Brun of Switzerland ran second most of the last eight hours then blew an engine with 15 minutes left.

On the top Jaguar team, Brundle replaced Chilean Elizeo Salazar more than 14 hours after the start. Brundle's Jaguar dropped out of the race with water pump problems just after the halfway point.

The decision, by team manager Tom Walkinshaw was a way of getting a veteran driver alongside Cobb and Nielsen.

Brundle is a former world champion sports prototype driver but ran in Formula One last year on Jack Brabham's team.

Cobb and Nielsen lost the Daytona 24 Hours race earlier this year in the closest finish in the history of that race, losing by less than 90 seconds.

But at Le Mans they held on to about a one-lap lead through the last half of the race. Nielsen finished the stint to give all the winning drivers their first victory in this endurance classic.

Detroit Grand Prix: At Michigan International Speedway, Michael Andretti ran away with his 10th career victory but first since August.

He lost two weeks ago in Milwaukee when his car ran out of fuel while leading two laps from the end. This time he led all 62 laps around the 2.5-mile, 17-turn downtown street circuit.

In the past 10 months he has led several races, losing with fuel problems, engine problems, brake problems and even a throttle problem.

Danny Sullivan mounted a late challenge and was right behind Andretti's Chevrolet-powered Lola as the two approached their last scheduled pit stops.

Sullivan's Penske-Chevrolet trailed by 0.36 on Lap 46 and he pitted the next time around. The stop was quick, but one of Penske Racing's airguns failed and Sullivan left with the lug nuts on his right-rear wheel still loose. A radio message from his crew chief kept him running slowly on the track, but the wheel eventually fell away and the car stopped.

The winner, who started from the pole here for the second straight year, averaged a record 84.90 mph in the second Indy-car race on this circuit. The second-generation Indy-car star beat Bobby Rahal's Lola-Chevrolet to the finish by 1 minute 48.53 seconds. He won more than $135,000.

Eddie Cheever, an Indy-car rookie who finished second in 1982 in a Formula One race on this course, was third, followed by Rick Mears and Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk, all one lap back.

Miller 500: In Long Pond, Pa., Harry Gant took the lead from Rusty Wallace with 11 laps left and won the caution-filled race by 2.4 seconds to become, at age 50, the oldest driver to win a NASCAR race.

He overcame an overheating problem caused by loose ductwork to average 120.627 mph in his first Winston Cup victory in more than a year. He is 85 days older than Bobby Allison was when he won the Daytona 500 at age 50 in 1988.

Gant passed Wallace inside the first turn on Lap 189 and stretched his margin while Wallace battled off Geoff Bodine for second on the 2.5-mile tri-oval at Pocono International Raceway.

Brett Bodine was fourth, followed by Davey Allison.