Michael Andretti easily outdistanced the field yesterday in the Marlboro Grand Prix at New Jersey's steamy Meadowlands.

His Chevrolet-powered Lola, starting from the pole, led 105 of the 150 laps on the 1.25-mile modified oval winding around Byrne Arena, including the final 56.

The 27-year-old driver earned his third victory of the season and third in the last four races as he beat CART-PPG series leader Rick Mears by 38.18 seconds.

Mears did add to his point lead because of problems encountered by his closest pursuers -- Al Unser Jr., Emerson Fittipaldi and Bobby Rahal. Andretti leapfrogged from fifth to second, earning the maximum of 22 points for the weekend, winning the pole, leading the most laps and winning the race. He is tied with Fittipaldi for second, trailing Mears by 101-88.

Fittipaldi had early suspension problems and came in sixth, seven laps behind. Unser was chasing Andretti until Lap 63, when he broke a half-axle. He lost 19 laps in the pits. With only 10 of the 28 cars running at the end, Unser officially finished 11th.

Rahal was eliminated on Lap 42 when he and Mario Andretti, battling for fifth, cracked together.

Mario, Michael's father, teammate and fellow front-row starter, led before the first round of pit stops, and was angling to pass Mears for fourth when he moved to the outside of the track.

Rahal appeared committed to the outside, trying to get by Mario Andretti, and the two came together twice, knocking both out of the race. Neither was hurt. . . .

Defending world champion Alain Prost won his third straight Formula One race and gave Ferrari its first victory in the Grand Prix of Great Britain since 1978.

Prost increased his record for Formula One victories to 43 -- four now at Silverstone -- and took first place in the drivers' championship standings with 41 points, two ahead of Ayrton Senna.

Prost's time was 1:18:30.999 for the 193-mile race. Thierry Boutsen finished 39 seconds behind in a Williams-Renault, followed by Senna in a McLaren-Honda. . . .

On the NASCAR circuit, Tommy Ellis held off a charging Harry Gant by about three car lengths, winning the inaugural Grand National Budweiser 300 at New Hampshire International Speedway in Loudon, N.H.