Trevor Randolph of Bethesda won five straight holes midway through the match and went on to a 5-and-4 victory over Chris Cazalas of Reston yesterday in the final of the 31st Bobby Gorin Memorial junior golf tournament at Woodmont Country Club's South Course.

In the early stages of the match, neither Randolph nor Cazalas played the type of golf that earned each an extra-hole semifinal victory Wednesday.

But Randolph got rolling starting at the sixth hole, winning his first of five holes in a row with a par. He then went par-birdie-par-par to take a 5-up lead through 10.

Randolph, a senior at St. Albans, had few obstacles thereafter and said: "I feel great about it. My drives came on. That's the best part of my game."

Two weeks ago, Randolph shot 70-72 at Germantown to lead area qualifiers for next week's USGA junior championships in San Francisco. Randolph said he was not sharp yesterday, in part because of a draining semifinal against Oliver Coune. Randolph called that 20-hole match "the highlight of my junior career."

Cazalas, who went an extra hole in his semifinal against Mark McGuire, struggled yesterday, hitting only one green in regulation on the front nine.

"I thought I was going to be nervous, but I wasn't," said Cazalas, 16, a South Lakes junior competing in his first final after finishing sixth in the recent Frank Emmet Schoolboy tournament.

"I didn't hit anything today. I really couldn't get a string of shots going. I just didn't come out and play well."

Signet Open: Seven-time Virginia Amateur champion Vinny Giles of Richmond shot a five-under-par 67 to take a one-shot lead in the first round of the tournament in Richmond. The round was marred by two thunderstorm delays and the disqualification of touring pro Bobby Wadkins.

"I'm tickled to death," the 47-year-old Giles said of his bogey-free round over the 6,684-yard Willow Oaks Country Club course.

Pro Mike Moyers of Stanardsville shot 68, just beating the darkness that left 33 players on the course when play was suspended.

Wadkins was disqualified when he hit the wrong ball on the sixth hole and didn't discover his mistake until he teed off on the seventh.

"It's my fault for not checking the ball," Wadkins said.

"I've been playing golf for 30 years and this is the first time it's ever happened," said the 38-year-old Richmond native, who was two under par at the time.

Wadkins and his playing partner, Giles, both drove into the fifth fairway as the shortest route to the green on the par-4 sixth.

"I looked down and checked my ball and it was a Titleist Figure One tour ball, which not too many people here would be playing," Wadkins said.

But it turned out the ball Wadkins hit belonged to Alexandria pro Wheeler Stewart, who discovered the error when he reached the green on the par-5 fifth and found the ball he hit had Wadkins's name on it.

"I was really bummed out," said Stewart, who still shot a par 72 over the Willow Oaks Country Club Course despite the two-shot penalty for hitting the wrong ball.

Wadkins also would have suffered the relatively minor penalty had he discovered the mistake before he teed off on the next hole.