WILLIAMSPORT, PA., AUG. 22 -- Bad weather finally made an impact on the 1990 Little League World Series today, when the rain and drizzle that's fallen since the opening day forced the suspension of a game today and prompted at least a one-day delay of an international game.

A fourth day of rain Thursday could cause the postponement of the title game, now set for Saturday on national television.

"We'd rather not worry about that unless it happens," Little League spokesman Steve Keener said.

Heavy drizzle made the Lamade Stadium field increasingly sloppy during two games Tuesday and showers made a bigger mess today before umpires stopped play in the bottom of the third inning. Infield practice had been called off Monday because of rain.

The U.S. semifinal game between the East and South champions was suspended with Shippensburg, Pa., leading Mobile, Ala., 3-0. It is scheduled to resume Thursday morning at 10.

An international semifinal between Taiwan and West Germany today never started and was rescheduled for early Thursday afternoon.

Little League players cannot play doubleheaders, but they may play a complete game after finishing a suspended game.

"Hypothetically, we could have the East-South winner come back and play tomorrow afternoon," Tournament Director Joseph Losch said.

If the Shippensburg-Mobile game is completed Thursday, the winner would play West champion Cypress, Calif., Thursday afternoon.

If the Taiwan-West Germany game is completed, its winner must wait until Friday to play Trail, British Columbia, in the international final.

Incompleted Little League games normally are started over, but in championship tournaments they are resumed.

Shippensburg took its 3-0 lead in the top of the third, scoring its first run on Jason Phillips's error. Jimmy Smith had reached on a single to left and moved to second when Mike Ocker hit an infield single that bounced off the bag at third. Phillips, a third baseman, fielded Gregg Mellott's bunt but overthrew Casey Curtis, who was covering the bag for Phillips.

Ocker went to third on the error, then scored on David Orndorff's sacrifice bunt. Mellott, who had moved from second to third on the bunt, scored on a wild pitch.

Bob Shannon struck out five in 2 1/3 innings. He struck out the side in the second after walking Drew Covert.

Mobile threatened in the first, but Curtis couldn't score from third on an attempted double steal. Driskell broke late for second and was tagged out five feet from the bag.