The Federal Trade Commission filed an administrative complaint against the College Football Association and Capital Cities-ABC Inc. yesterday, saying their national television contracts are anticompetitive.

The five-page complaint, a copy of which was obtained by the Associated Press, said competition among schools and networks for games has been hindered and "consumers have been deprived of the selection of college football games that would otherwise have been televised in a competitive environment."

The FTC asked that the CFA and Cap Cities appear before an administrative law judge here Nov. 13. The FTC could void the national TV contracts and prohibit the CFA from negotiating new deals for all its members.

ABC televises games under a contract with the Big Ten and Pacific-10 conferences. The CFA's $64 million four-year contract with CBS expires after this season and it is scheduled to begin a $210 million, five-year deal with ABC in 1991.

In addition, the CFA has a deal with ESPN that expires after this season and a $125 million, five-year renewal with ESPN that begins in 1991. Cap Cities owns 80 percent of ESPN and the other 20 percent is owned by RJR Nabisco Inc.

The CFA comprises 64 schools from all major conferences except the Big Ten and Pac-10.

"We are disappointed that the FTC has decided to file a complaint against the CFA," the Boulder, Colo.-based association said in a statement. "Such action, however, should not be construed as a finding that the CFA has acted unlawfully, but rather as an initiation of the formal hearing process."

ABC Sports would not comment immediately. . . .

The University of Pittsburgh could align with an Eastern all-sports conference in six months to two years and would consider quitting the Big East to do so, Athletic Director Ed Bozik said.

Bozik said options are almost endless: an expanded Big East; an Eastern Seaboard grouping that could include West Virginia, Miami, Florida State and South Carolina; or a 16-team "super conference" involving the Metro Conference.

Pitt also would welcome overtures from the Big Ten.

"We're not going to leave the Big East without something better out there, and that's a decision we would never take lightly," he said. "It's even within the bounds of possibility we could remain as a {football} independent . . . depending on how many other schools get tied in" to conference deals. . . .

Nine University of North Texas redshirt freshmen football players, including some who were to be starters, have been suspended from Saturday's season opener against Alcorn State. Coach Corky Nelson said they violated class and study hall attendance policy.

"We instituted the policy last spring for the whole {athletic} department, not just the football team," said Nelson, who also is athletic director.

"It's going to hurt our depth for the first ballgame," he said. "But . . . This should let the students know we are serious about this." . . .

Former All-Met Mia Hamm (Lake Braddock) scored three goals in the first 17 minutes as No. 1 North Carolina (3-0) extended its five-year unbeaten streak to 98 games with a 9-0 defeat of Mercer in women's soccer in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Freshman Carolyn Springer of Silver Spring (St. Andrew's) made her first college start and scored to give the Tar Heels a 5-0 lead on their way to extending their home record to 98-0-2 since inception of the women's team in 1979.