After coming to terms with former New York Jets tight end Mickey Shuler, Philadelphia Eagles owner Norman Braman said the team is ready to play the 1990 season without all-pro Keith Jackson.

"We're not going to renegotiate his contract, I can tell you that categorically," Braman told the Philadelphia Inquirer yesterday.

Jackson has refused to report without a new contract.

"We're prepared to go into the season without him," said Braman in his first public comments on the dispute with Jackson.

Shuler, 34, agreed to a one-year contract. In 12 seasons with the Jets he caught 438 passes for 4,819 yards and 37 touchdowns.

"We feel ecstatic over signing Shuler, the coaches are ecstatic, we all are," Braman said.


The league denied a WJLA-TV-7 report that said it agreed not to ban tight end Clarence Kay for life on the condition he not discuss his drug test results.

"No decision has been made on Clarence's case status," NFL spokesman Joe Browne said. "No deal has been made."

WJLA said Kay's attorney, Bruce Brown, told the station Kay canceled an interview about problems with a July 1988 drug test last week in exchange for the league's agreement not to bar him from football.

The station said confidential league records show Kay tested positive for cocaine in 1986 and 1988. In June, he was convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Three violations of league drug rules require a player to be banned from the game. But confusion over the processing of a urine sample in July 1988 prompted then-commissioner Pete Rozelle to write Kay the following August.

"By virtue of the positive test result this summer and your prior problems, you are now, by any reckoning, at Step 2 of the league's three-step program," said the letter, made public by the station.

"Only my dissatisfaction with the administrative handling of certain matters relating to your recent positive testing has led me to refrain from removing you . . . for a minimum of 30 days from the Broncos' roster -- a consequence normally called for in Step 2 under league policy at this time of year," Rozelle said.

WJLA said that the sample sat 12 days before it was tested. Despite a negative result after testing, another test was ordered, and it turned up positive, the station said.


Cornerback Lewis Billups ended a 42-day holdout.


Signed ex-Raiders defensive back and kick returner Stefon Adams.


Placed defensive end Shawn Patterson on injured reserve with a knee injury and re-signed Blaise Winter, who started 10 games last season.


Signed third-year linebacker Greg Clark, who was released by Green Bay Monday. Also announced wide receiver Henry Ellard signed a three-year contract extension.


Eric Green, the NFL's only unsigned first-round pick, said he would rather sit out the season than accept Pittsburgh's reduced contract offer.

Green is finishing work on a finance degree at Liberty University and said he is "not frustrated at all" by his seven-week holdout.

Green said he would accept the Steelers' Aug. 11 offer of $2.36 million for four years but it was pulled off the table. "He's of no use to me," Coach Chuck Noll said.