When University of Maryland players weren't bickering among themselves or sniping at the officials, they played well enough to salvage a 2-2 tie with Loyola of Baltimore yesterday in College Park.

Mike Painter's 20-yard volley shot 12:05 into overtime evened the match after Loyola's Sean Nolan scored his second goal of the game six minutes earlier.

The 15th-ranked Terrapins (3-1-1) stretched their unbeaten streak to seven games against the Greyhounds, with four victories and three ties since 1983.

Maryland, which has had three impressive road victories and two lackluster outings at home, will play its first ACC match Sunday against No. 7 Virginia in Charlottesville.

The Terrapins certainly didn't play like a team with its highest national ranking since 1986. First-half tension on the field had the makings of a brawl -- not between the teams, but among Maryland teammates.

"We started slowly today and last Saturday" in a 2-1 upset loss to Coastal Carolina, Painter said. "I don't understand why. I don't know where our heads are. We were just bickering at each other, but that stopped and we started to play."

After an uneventful first half, Nolan gave the Greyhounds (1-1-3) a 1-0 lead in the 55th minute with his first goal of the season. Forward Rob Elliott lifted a free kick into the penalty area and Nolan headed the ball from five yards past goalkeeper Carmine Isaaco.

The Terrapins didn't register a shot on goal in the second half until 18 minutes remained. They tied it when Loyola defender Stan Lembryk dragged down forward Paul Boardman in the penalty area and Nigel Burdett converted the kick in the 74th minute.

In overtime, Nolan finished a well-executed two-on-one with Elliott, and Painter scored the sensational equalizer with a powerful, waist-high shot from the top of the penalty area.

Later, Loyola had a goal negated by an offside infraction, Boehmcke made an excellent sliding save on Jeff Stroud and Boardman had a clear shot from 10 yards misdirected by a fallen player.