BALTIMORE, SEPT. 15 -- Bill E. Shears missed a track record by one-fifth of a second today with a rousing triumph in the $100,000 Polynesian Handicap at Pimlico. His cruise through the stretch was in vivid contrast with the previous race, when Sugarcone appeared to have victory clinched only to end up third.

Trainer Sonny Hine envisioned a smoother trip for Bill E. Shears today following a disastrous Iselin Handicap, but even he wasn't prepared for domination of this sort. It seems an injury had forced Bill E. Shears to wear a plastic bubble over his left eye in the Iselin last month, and the mud that coated it left him timid, disoriented and far from the leaders.

The track was dry today and the competition softer, and Bill E. Shears never lost sight of his objective. Rick Wilson had him perfectly positioned around the clubhouse turn and into the backstretch as Loui Bomacino and Midas battled in a fast pace, the half-mile passing in 45 4/5 seconds.

Midas began to sputter deep into the backstretch, leaving Loui Bomacino alone on the lead, a short-lived experience as Bill E. Shears came up with him on the far turn and passed with relative ease.

Under Wilson's aggressive stretch drive, he widened his lead with every stride and passed the wire nine lengths ahead of Shy Tom, the 2-to-1 favorite who had beaten him last month at Monmouth Park. Shy Tom, who trailed for most of the race, finished three lengths ahead of Loyal Pal.

Bill E. Shears was timed in 1:41 for the 1 1/16th miles, a fifth of a second off the track record Deputed Testamony set as a 4-year-old.

The performance completed an exceptional day for Wilson, who rode three winners and had six during the five-day week. The veteran said he left New Jersey after finishing atop the standings at Monmouth Park because of dwindling purses and the strain of night racing, and he's gaining momentum going into the Laurel session that begins Thursday.

Bill E. Shears, who paid $7, left Hine contemplating the $500,000-added Meadowlands Cup on Oct. 12. While the trainer looked ahead, some fans were looking back -- at Sugarcone's misfortune in the race before. The filly, favored at 2 to 1, ran wide into the stretch and began closing in on front-running longshot Con Hielo (30-1).

Allen Stacy whipped left-handed as Sugarcone moved alongside Con Hielo's right flank with less than a furlong to go, but just as she seemed ready to take the lead, Sugarcone was restrained. She fell back quickly, whereupon Con Hielo resumed command and Monotype ran by her to take second.

"She acted like she broke down," Stacy said. "She was moving great into the stretch, but just past the eighth {-mile} pole she threw her head up. I thought she was just goofing off, so I hit her. Then she did it again. She really did the pulling up. I more or less stayed with her. She started pulling up like a broken-down horse, but she walked back okay."

Earlier in the race, jockey Karl Korte went down on the far turn when Flash Number One fell. Korte was taken to Sinai Hospital for examination. His condition could not be ascertained early tonight.

'Choice' Off to Kentucky

Baldski's Choice has left Maryland for Kentucky, where he'll compete in Sunday's Final Fourteen Regional at Turfway Park. The top two finishers qualify for the $250,000 Final at Bay Meadows on Oct. 14. . . .

Jockey Joe Rocco began a seven-day suspension today following Sweet Sybil's recent disqualification.