Georgetown capitalized on some early Gallaudet mistakes and rolled to a 31-7 victory yesterday at Gallaudet.

The Bison (0-2) fumbled twice in their territory and gave up a blocked punt for a touchdown as the Hoyas (1-1) built what proved to be an insurmountable 17-0 first-quarter lead.

"We gave {Georgetown} those three quick scores early that came so easily," said Gallaudet Coach Rich Pelletier. "But I felt we played well and didn't give up."

Georgetown mounted scoring drives from the Bison 24-, 25- and 19-yard lines.

"Our defense had a bit of a rough go of it in our first game against Ursinus," said Georgetown Coach Scotty Glacken. "But they more than made up for it with their play today. But I'm still waiting for both our offense and defense to play well together. We're going to need that in our upcoming games against {Division III} ranked opponents like Dickinson and Franklin & Marshall."

The Hoyas intercepted three passes (two by sophomore defensive back Jim Bolger) and recovered two fumbles.

On Gallaudet's opening series, linebacker Jim Amalfitano recovered Jock Williams's fumble at the Bison 24. Six plays later at 11:26, running back Robert Scarlata scored from the 1 and Anthony DeGuzman's extra point gave the Hoyas a 7-0 lead.

The miscues continued for Gallaudet when a poor punt was compounded by an unsportsmanlike conduct call, giving Georgetown the ball on the Bison 25.

But the Hoyas drive stalled and they settled for a 25-yard field goal by DeGuzman, which increased their advantage to 10-0 with 7:45 remaining.

The first quarter came to a head for Gallaudet when Murray had his punt blocked by Ken Duer; senior linebacker Tim McAneney recovered the ball in the end zone for a 17-0 lead.

Randolph-Macon 20, Catholic 15: Scott Kirby passed for three touchdowns, including two to wide receiver Steve Dodd, to lead visiting Randolph-Macon (2-0) to the victory.

Randolph-Macon, which led by 6-0 at halftime, took a 20-0 lead with 11:07 remaining in the game after Kirby threw a 55-yard touchdown pass to John Kline.

Catholic (1-1) rallied for two late touchdowns, including a 28-yard pass from Darin Dinello to Jerry Petrongelo.Cornerback Don Janey and Tony Harrison each scored first-quarter touchdowns to lead Bowie State in Baltimore.

Janey intercepted David Partin's pass and returned it 38 yards for the first touchdown. Halfback Noel Harrison hit Tony Harrison (no relation) for a 35-yard touchdown pass with 35 seconds left in the half as the Bulldogs took a 13-3 halftime lead.

Bowie State improved to 1-1; Morgan State dropped to 0-3.

Bowie State had 260 yards of total offense. Morgan State gained 152.