San Antonio Spurs guard David Wingate was indicted by a Howard County grand jury yesterday on six counts of second-degree rape, sexual contact and assault and battery in the alleged assault Sunday of a 17-year-old Baltimore girl.

Wingate was arrested Monday on the rape charges and spent three hours in a Columbia jail before being released on $10,000 bond. Dwight S. Thompson, the county's deputy state's attorney, said the bail was kept low because it is unlikely Wingate would fail to appear for trial.

"He is very well-known and not the kind of person who is going to hide himself," Thompson told Associated Press.

Wingate, 26, who recently had rented the apartment in Columbia where the incident was said to have occurred, faces a maximum sentence of 20 years if convicted.

The former Georgetown University star denied to Howard County police that the teenager refused his advances at a party at the apartment Sunday also attended by the girl's sister and two other men. He is accused of having intercourse with her and fondling her against her will.

The girl told police she became intoxicated and sick at the party, where several people were drinking beer and tequila. She claimed Wingate raped her while she was ill.

Wingate claimed she consented to have sex with him.

After the Maryland charges were filed, the Spurs suspended contract negotiations with Wingate, a restricted free agent. Spurs owner Red McCombs said he wasn't prejudging Wingate. He said team and league officials would investigate the matter.

Team officials also said Wingate had been instructed by his attorney not to speak with reporters and attempts to reach the player yesterday were unsuccessful.

Meanwhile, police in San Antonio said they had nothing to report yesterday about their newly reopened investigation into a rape complaint made against Wingate there in June.

A 21-year-old woman, who filed a civil suit against Wingate Wednesday, alleged Wingate sexually assaulted her in his car near his home in San Antonio June 24 and then took her to his home there, where he let two friends rape her.

The woman said she reported the assaults to San Antonio police, but that no criminal charges resulted. Police have confirmed they are still investigating.

San Antonio police also are investigating an incident on Tuesday in which a message was scrawled in lipstick on a bathroom mirror at Wingate's San Antonio home. A female doll pierced by needles was found in a master bedroom. Police would not reveal what the lipstick message said.