Anacostia, taking advantage of a late fourth-quarter turnover, earned its first victory of the season by upsetting previously unbeaten Dunbar, 12-10, in an Interhigh game at Dunbar yesterday afternoon.

The Indians' Gregory Brinkley, a senior wide receiver, scored on a leaping catch with 1:23 remaining in the game, as defensive back Derrick Booker slipped in the end zone.

Booker's tumble left Brinkley wide open, and Anacostia (1-3) had its first lead, 12-10, as the conversion run failed.

"I'd told the quarterback {Michael Randolph} that I had been open the whole game," said Brinkley. "He saw me this time, and I got open and scored."

The Crimson Tide (3-1) lost the ball and the game when its quarterback, junior Marvin McClellan, fumbled on a second-down play at Dunbar's 36-yard line as he was hit by three defenders. The turnover came as Dunbar was trying to run out the clock after gaining the ball on downs with 3:10 left.

Anacostia then drove to the 2-yard line, helped when Jermaine Clark's interception was ruled out of bounds. On the next play Brinkley scored.

Anacostia Coach Willie Stewart maintained his unbeaten streak against Dunbar, which goes back to 1983. "I told them to just hang in there," he said. "We cannot get down . . . especially after their touchdown before halftime."

That score came after Anacostia failed to gain a first down after faking a punt. With 1:16 remaining in the second quarter, the Indians faked a punt on fourth and 10 at their 25. On the snap, Booker saw Troy Washington trying to run right. Booker made an open-field tackle after only a one-yard gain.

Dunbar then rushed the ball downfield and, after a defensive stand by the Indians, scored on a fourth-down pass from the 2 caught by Nathan Langley with 4:13 left in the second quarter. The extra point was good and Dunbar took the lead at 7-6.

The Crimson Tide padded its lead when senior Milton Mooya kicked a 45-yard field goal with 4:12 left in the third quarter.

Anacostia scored its first touchdown midway through the second quarter. On a second down, Theodore Boone ran up the middle from two yards to make it 6-0 with 7:45 left before half.