Yorktown's streak of fantastic finishes was temporarily put on hold thanks to the return of tailback Andre Yates.

Yates, on an academic suspension for last week's game with Langley, rushed for 237 yards and a pair of touchdowns to ignite the Patriots' running game, which amassed 483 yards as Yorktown routed visiting McLean, 41-12, in a Virginia AAA nondistrict game last night.

Yorktown, which won its first two games in overtime, remained undefeated at 3-0; the Highlanders dropped to 2-1.

Yates, who carried just 16 times and sat out the fourth quarter, displayed bursts of blinding speed. On the second play of the third quarter, the 5-foot-5, 155-pound senior took a counter handoff to the inside, broke to his left and sped 55 yards up the sideline to make it 20-6 with 10:59 remaining.

"My linemen blocked real well for me," Yates said. "I told myself I was going to get over 200 yards and get back among the rushing leaders. I'm not going to miss any more classes."

The Highlanders pulled to within 20-12 following a fumbled punt recovery by Jonathan Towers at the Yorktown 3. Jose Navedo (85 yards rushing) scored his second touchdown a play later.

But from then on it was the Patriots' offense that did most of the work. Yorktown assembled a couple of sustained drives that resulted in touchdowns -- by Raymond Thomas on a 15-yard run and Mike Jackson on a nine-yard run -- and kept its defense well-rested.

McLean, which gained 189 yards in the first half, managed 58 yards after halftime and ran just 14 offensive plays -- six in the fourth quarter.

The final 1:17 of the first half was delayed 20 minutes due to a neck injury suffered by McLean's Ernest Solar. Solar, who experienced numbness in his left side, was taken to Arlington Hospital, where he was treated and released.

The Highlanders mounted an eight-play, 62-yard scoring drive on their first possession. Navedo scored on three-yard run up the middle. But twice in the second quarter, McLean turned over the ball after crossing midfield.

Yorktown countered with a pair of first-quarter touchdowns including Mike Geter's 40-yard burst.