In the past five seasons, the Douglass Eagles had not scored a single point against the Forestville Knights. Yesterday they ended that drought, leading the entire game as they grabbed their third victory of the season, 17-7, at Forestville.

The Knights (2-1) had problems trying to generate offense and were penalized 10 times for 80 yards.

"The penalties took the momentum away from us," said discouraged first-year coach Rayford Petty. "But the real reason we lost the game was because we did not excute out there."

The Eagles, on the other hand, were very successful executing a well-balanced rushing offense most of the day. That portion of their game was responsible for putting the game out of reach early in the fourth quarter.

With 10:50 remaining in the game the Eagles went 53 yards in six plays, the biggest gain of the drive coming on the fourth play. Reserve junior quarterback Keyantae Hawkins went 36 yards on a rollout down the left sideline. Senior running back David Fant went in for the score from the 4, followed by fellow senior running back Charles Tucker sweeping left for the conversion to make the score 17-7 with 8:22 left.

"We told our kids at halftime that they had to play better ball," said Douglass Coach John Latzo. "We had to keep the ball on the ground and hold on defense."

In the first half the Eagles scored first as they struggled for 18 yards in seven plays to settle for Troy Charney's 39-yard field goal, making it 3-0 with 2:41 remaining in the quarter.

Two possessions later the Eagles answered again. After fielding a short punt, they went 30 yards in eight plays, Tucker going over the left guard from the 2-yard line for the score with 7:30 remaining in the second quarter. It stayed at 9-0 after the conversion pass was intercepted.

After a failed possession by both teams, the Knights got the ball with 3:50 remaining in the first half and marched 55 yards in seven plays, getting the score with 34 seconds remaining as junior quarterback Jeff Starkey hit senior Ben Thomas, who got behind his man in the end zone for the eight-yard score. Ed Torrence put the finishing touches score by kicking the extra point that made it 9-7.

"We were getting frustrated. We had to do something," said Thomas. "I suckered my man to the inside and ran to the corner, where I was free."