Senior Shaun Marshall proved how indispensable he is to Bladensburg yesterday. He leaped over Douglass linebacker Troy Charney in the corner of the end zone to catch a 14-yard scoring pass from freshman quarterback Jamel Francois with 10 seconds left, giving Bladensburg a 21-14 Prince George's Class 3A victory at Douglass.

Marshall, who rushed for 84 yards on 14 carries, had an emotional seesaw of a fourth quarter. Three plays into the quarter, he picked off a pass from Errick Douglas. With 7:54 remaining he broke a 6-6 tie, bouncing off three defenders to score on a 27-yard run.

But with 3:10 left he got beat for a touchdown, as split end Damien Gross leaped over him to catch Douglas's 20-yard toss. Dave Fant then ran outside to score on the conversion, tying the game at 14.

However, Marshall got another chance to be the hero after Douglass fullback Anthony Porter fumbled the ball and the Mustangs' Mike Baxter recovered at the Eagles 30 with 45 seconds left. Three plays later Marshall was swarmed by his teammates after his touchdown reception.

"We just didn't give up and our offense and defense came together as one," he said. "I just did what the coaching staff told me to do and everything worked out all right."

"Shaun Marshall is a big-time player," said Bladensburg Coach Pat Murphy. "We put him out there on the big plays all the time. We put him one-on-one with {Gross} and the guy made a nice catch. Shaun was cramped up, he had played the whole game. We use him for everything. He's the type of kid that when we want a big play, we go to him."

Both teams are 3-1 overall, 2-1 in the league.

Douglass scored the game's initial touchdown, moving 86 yards in six plays before Truman Washington spun away from two defenders to dive into the end zone from four yards. The conversion pass failed.

The Eagles' defense, led by tackle Anthony Porter and linebackers Greg Merlo and Derrick Smith, punished Bladensburg for most of the game, turning back scoring threats from the 6- and 2-yard lines.

However, it was Bladensburg's defense that came up with the big play. Marshall Barnett scooped up Fant's fumble off a pitchout from Kyante Hawkins at the Douglass 42 and scampered untouched for a touchdown that tied the game. Francois connected with Timmy Allen on the conversion for an 8-6 lead.