The McNamara Mustangs scored quickly and early and, led by a swarming defense that harassed O'Connell quarterback Ray Williams all afternoon, defeated the visiting Knights, 33-13, yesterday.

The Mustangs needed just one possession to score their first touchdown, a one-yard run by quarterback Junior Bynum just three minutes into the game. Bynum's touchdown came one play after McNamara's Rob Miller blocked Chris Smith's punt on the O'Connell 3-yard line.

Bynum threw for three touchdowns to go with his early-game score, but said there was room for improvement. "My completion ratio might have been the best of the season," he said. "But our execution wasn't. We could have caught more balls, blocked a little better.

"{O'Connell} was switching coverages. But I was reading the defenses and throwing them where they weren't."

McNamara wasted little time in scoring its second touchdown. After a touchback on an O'Connell punt, Bynum hit running back Damien Atwater on a five-yard screen pass that became an 80-yard touchdown as Atwater eluded five defenders for the score.

"We were fortunate today," McNamara Coach Tom Clark said. "We had to have this win going into next week's game against DeMatha. In this league, you can't lose any games."

After a series of dropped passes and overthrown balls, the dormant O'Connell offense finally awoke late in the first quarter. Running back John Jones scored with just 40 seconds left on a 12-yard run, making it 14-7.

The Mustangs' third touchdown came at 7:12 of the second quarter, as Bynum completed a 28-yard pass to wide receiver Asim Penny. Penny, who intercepted Williams on the McNamara 39 to start the drive, caught Bynum's pass on the 15-yard line, and made two defenders miss en route to the touchdown, giving the Mustangs a 20-7 lead.

With under a minute left in the first half, McNamara increased its lead to 19 points, as Penny caught his second touchdown on a perfect 30-yard pass up the middle from Bynum. The two-point conversion failed, keeping it 26-7.

The second half began in similar fashion to the first, with the Mustangs scoring just four minutes into the third quarter. Atwater intercepted Willams in McNamara territory, and returned it to the O'Connell 19-yard line. On first down, Bynum, facing a heavy Knights' pass rush, bootlegged right 18 yards to the O'Connell 1. Running back Afiba Fairnot then carried off tackle for the score.

O'Connell, however, came back on its next possession, as running back Henry Yoo scored on a seven-yard run for 33-13.