EMMITSBURG, MD., OCT. 2 -- Mike Morrison's first workday as a Bullet was a short one. At the start of practice he had an asthma attack -- his first in years, he said -- and he had to sit out most of the workout before getting in at the end.

Turns out Morrison has bad allergies to pollen and ragweed, which are in abundance in the trees and grasses here at Mount St. Mary's.

"My lungs were really congested," said Morrison, still clogged up afterward. "I couldn't take a breath without it hurting. Then I took some Sudafed and tried to run out there. {But} it was still killing me."

He used to use an inhaler but not since his sophomore year in high school. His first year at Loyola College in Baltimore, he had an attack so severe he had to go to the hospital and get iced down. Playing in the dry climate in Phoenix last season, it wasn't a problem. Now the Bullets have him back on an inhaler.

"I don't think it was that severe today," he said. "I just got a little shortness of breath." The Eackles Stalemate

The latest in the Ledell Eackles saga: General Manager John Nash faxed Eackles's agent, Eddie Sapir, last Friday to try getting things moving. No reply. Sapir says he wants to see numbers other than the $2.8 million Washington is offering the third-year guard.

"I'd like to see some from him," Nash said. "I'm not just going to put numbers out there and have him come back by tripling them, which is what he did the last time I put numbers out there." For Now, One-a-Days

With veterans not due until Friday, there was only one practice today and there will be only one a day for the next three days. "It's just because of the numbers," Coach Wes Unseld said. "Today was just a thing of breaking them down. It was very physical the first half and then we tried to get into some basketball the second half." Walker on the Run

Darrell Walker reported early and practiced. "I came here early last year; I'm just used to it," he said.

But when two-a-days begin he'll take part in only one workout daily to take the pressure off his chronically ailing Achilles' tendons.

He spent much of the summer in Little Rock, Ark., getting treatment.

"The guy was great. He got a lot of the soreness out," the veteran guard said. The prescribed treatment here is a whirlpool, balm and stretching before practice, with ice applications afterward. And in his room he straps himself to a pulley-type system that stretches the tendons.

"There's not really a lot you can do for chronic tendinitis," he said. "But they feel pretty good right now."