A punishing running game anchored by Andy Hubbard and John Roth and a defense that put itself in precarious situations but stood firm when it needed to carried St. Albans to a 31-0 win in its homecoming game against Episcopal. It was the Interstate Athletic Conference opener at for both teams.

"I could have rushed for 10 yards every time with the offensive line's blocking," said Hubbard, who ran for 143 yards on 12 carries and scored a first-quarter touchdown. "It was close to my best game of the season."

It took a while, however, for the Bulldogs (3-1) to take charge. In the first quarter, sloppy play on both sides led to four fumbles and an interception until, with 1:19 left in the quarter, Hubbard put the Bulldogs up, 7-0, on a four-yard run.

The game's key defensive series came early in the second quarter. Quarterback Howie Boodwin led a drive that brought Episcopal, playing without injured running back Derek Fitzgerald, to the Bulldogs 6. That's where it ended, as St. Albans stopped the Maroon (2-2) on four consecutive plays. On fourth and goal, Boodwin faced a heavy pass rush and tried to bootleg right, but before he took three steps defensive tackle Graham Hauck dropped him for a yard loss.

With just more than four minutes left in the half, the Bulldogs took a 14-0 lead on Roth's 42-yard run. Hubbard carried twice on the drive, the second a 22-yard gain.

"The offensive line was just dominating up front," said Roth, who gained 139 yards on 14 carries. "The offensive line won it for us."

The Maroon threatened to cut the lead late in the half. But with Episcopal driving from the St. Albans 31, Hubbard, playing strong safety, intercepted Boodwin and returned to the Epsicopal 7.

The Bulldogs added to their lead at 4:35 of the third quarter on David Larson's 17-yard field goal. With 29 seconds left in the third quarter, they put the game out of reach, with Roth scoring on a 17-yard run.

Episcopal's sluggishness continued into the fourth quarter, the Maroon failing to score after driving close on three occassions.

The Bulldogs scored again with 7:33 left, on running back Milton Gay's nine-yard run.

"The fact that {Fitzgerald} didn't play helped us," said St. Albans Coach Dick Allanson. "We just ground them down as the game wore on."