EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., OCT. 12 -- The playing status of two New York Giants remained uncertain after today's practice.

Top draft choice Rodney Hampton, who leads the team with 14 pass receptions and is tied for the team lead with two touchdown catches, is officially questionable with a sprained right ankle. "I don't know if I'm going to dress him or not," Coach Bill Parcells said. "Of all the players, he's the most doubtful."

Left tackle John Elliott did not practice Thursday or today because of an injured left ankle. Neither Parcells nor Elliott would reveal the exact nature of the injury.

Parcells said he didn't know if Elliott would play, but offensive coordinator Ron Erhardt and line coach Fred Hoaglin both said they expected Elliott to play.

If Elliott can't play, Eric Moore, a former No. 1 draft choice, would move from right guard to left tackle and second-year player Bob Kratch would play guard. Bahr Gets His Kicks

The Giants' kicker Sunday will be Matt Bahr. A 12-year veteran who spent eight seasons with the Cleveland Browns, was signed Sept. 28 after Raul Allegre went on injured reserve with a groin injury. Bahr made a 34-yard field goal in his only New York appearance two weeks ago. He also missed a 47-yard attempt.

Parcells also has rookie kicker Matt Stover, a 12th-round draft choice, eligible to come off injured reserve, but preferred to keep Bahr for the Redskins game. Parcells said he wanted Bahr's experience -- particularly in front of hostile crowds -- and his familiarity with kicking off natural grass.

"We won't know about the field until we get down there," Bahr said. "The fans {at RFK Stadium} are ebullient, to say the least. But I don't think it will bother me. It's when I golf and everyone is quiet that I worry." Forget the Past

The Giants have spent the last two weeks trying to downplay their recent success against the Redskins, which includes victories in four consecutive games and nine of the last 11 nonstrike meetings.

"Players don't care about that," said Phil Simms. "We don't think we have anything over on them. It will be a whole new ballgame on Sunday." . . .

Because of reports of rough weather, the Giants were deciding late today whether to travel to Washington by land or air for Sunday's game.

The Giants are scheduled to depart for National Airport aboard a charter flight at 1:30 p.m. Saturday. But with Hurricane Lili moving up the coast, air travel in the Washington area could be disrupted.

"I'm not afraid to fly down there," said Parcells, a reluctant flier even when the sky is blue. "I'm just afraid to get up and the airport is closed. Now where are you going? You have a problem and I don't want to have that problem."

Parcells's contingency plan is to transport the team by bus.