ETTRICK, VA., OCT. 13 -- Gregory Clark, a sophomore out of Theodore Roosevelt High School, threw for 197 yards and three touchdowns today against the nation's second-ranked Division I-AA defense as Division II Virginia State shocked lethargic Howard, 19-14, to end the nation's longest Division I-AA winning streak at nine.

Virginia State, which entered the game winless in three home games this season, improved to 4-3 overall before a homecoming crowd of 10,500 at Rogers Stadium. Clark threw two touchdown passes within a 1:56 span of the third quarter, helping the Trojans overcome a 14-6 halftime deficit.

Howard, which had won 20 of its last 21 against non I-AA opponents, had five turnovers as it dropped to 5-1. Two interceptions thrown by Howard quarterback Donald Carr set up the third-quarter Virginia State touchdown receptions, of seven yards by tight end Marcus Kenny and 30 yards by running back Clifton Cooper.

"We were just not ready to play," Howard Coach Steve Wilson said. "It was one of those days, and I have been in a lot of games like this. We didn't show up from the start. They were .500, hadn't won at home and it was their homecoming. We were coming off a big game {against Bethune-Cookman} and we have a big one next week {against North Carolina A&T}. The stage was set for something like this, and we have no excuses."

The Bison, who had won their last six over Virginia State, came into the game allowing only 190 yards per game, 62.6 on the ground. But they had not played against a wing-T offense this year, and just like last season, when Howard escaped with a 17-14 win, the Bison had difficulty staying with the Trojans' deceptive motion and counter plays and allowed 348 net yards, 159 rushing.

"We did a lot of analysis of last year's film and picked out what worked," said Virginia State Coach George Moody. "We figured the motion would give them problems again. We thought we should have won last year's game, except our quarterback overthrew everybody."

Clark threw few bullets today, but the running of David Patterson (77 yards) helped keep the Bison's pass-rush scheme honest. Howard had averaged 5.4 sacks in its first five games and forced an average of three turnovers. Today, the Bison did not have a sack and did not force a turnover.

"We didn't cover particularly well today," Wilson said. "But when you have time to throw, any college quarterback can beat you."

Virginia State took a 6-0 lead in the second quarter on a 19-yard touchdown catch by senior running back Terry Moore.

Howard went ahead, 7-6, on a one-yard touchdown run by Ryan Heathcock with 8:53 remaining in the half. With four seconds left in the half, an inside shuttle pass from Carr to J.J. Carpenter resulted in a 23-yard touchdown as Carpenter (67 yards on 11 carries) bulled his way through tacklers to the goal line.

Much of the second half was played in a steady rain. After Kenny's touchdown with 7:05 to go in the third, the rain became a factor as Howard's junior defensive back Joe Olidge slipped, allowing Cooper to get to the end zone uncovered for the eventual winning score.

"They were playing us man-to-man all day, and once you get past the safety, you're all alone," Clark said. "On the pass to Cooper, he was the third receiver, but he kept telling me, 'If everyone else is covered, look for me because I'm beating them all day.' "

Cooper said the Trojans became increasingly confident that they could pull the upset.

"A lot of people didn't think we could beat them, but we did," he said. "Howard just took us for granted, but it was our homecoming, and we knew we could win."

The Bison did not dispute that they came here today without the same inspiration shown in their first five games.

"We came out in the first half and we were lackadaisical," said defensive end Gary Willingham. "We didn't take them seriously."

Despite the uninspired play, the Bison still had a chance to win.

With less than seven minutes remaining, Carr took Howard from its 19 to the 48. On second down, Wilson, looking to give Carr a brief rest and throw a change of pace at the Trojans, inserted freshman quarterback Chris Dubose, who led the Bison 66 yards on their first touchdown drive.

This time, however, Dubose threw his first pass directly at Trojans linebacker Andre Brickhouse, who made his second interception.

Wilson hoped all the problems today will keep the Bison sharp for the remainder of their Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference games.

"We got a little medicine today," he said. "It doesn't taste good, but it will be good for us. We'll be all right because it will give us the impetus for the rest of the season."