OAKLAND, OCT. 21 -- Cincinnati Reds outfielder Eric Davis will not need surgery on the kidney he bruised severely diving for a ball in Saturday night's World Series finale.

Tests, including a CAT scan, revealed the kidney was not ruptured -- meaning surgery is not planned, a Reds spokesman said. Davis is expected to stay here at the Merritt Hospital five to seven days; teammates were to fly back to Cincinnati today after their shocking four-game sweep of the Oakland Athletics.

Davis damaged his ribs and kidney on his right side as he lunged for Willie McGee's soft liner to left field in the first inning. He ran forward and dived to his left; he had the ball in his glove temporarily, then lost it after he hit the ground, his right arm wedged beneath him.

He writhed in pain several minutes, leading most observers to believe he had aggravated the shoulder hurt ramming an outfield wall Sept. 27.

He stayed in the game until the end of the inning, then Glenn Braggs replaced him. Trainers all but dragged Davis to the clubhouse. When traces of blood appeared in his urine, he was sent to the hospital.

Reds team physician Michael Lawhon visited Davis in the intensive care unit today when the test results were returned.

"I understand he's in good spirits, just very sore," a team spokesman said. "He told Dr. Lawhon, 'As long as we won, I guess it's worth it.' . . . A full recovery is expected. He'll be fine."

One Angry Canseco

A's slugger Jose Canseco took his Game 4 benching by Manager Tony La Russa relatively in stride. The same apparently cannot be said of wife Esther Canseco, who had some disparagements ready before the game began.

"He's a punk," she said of La Russa in today's editions of the San Jose Mercury News. "Let them sweep us. I should have worn a red dress. Tony's gone too far. He's putting the blame on Jose when it's the whole team."

She said Jose called her from the clubhouse when he learned of the move and "sounded upset." She said she told him: "You're still my superstar." . . .

After Dave Stewart's first-inning fastball bruised Billy Hatcher's left hand Saturday, Hatcher returned to the bench in the eighth inning as the Reds were scoring the game's two decisive runs. X-rays at Merritt Hospital revealed no fractures, but his hand swelled badly and likely would have kept him out of a Game 5.

"I was mad," he said. "I wasn't mad that I got hit. I was mad that I had to leave {the ballpark}. I wanted to play. This was my first World Series. I might not get back to another one." . . .

The World Series sweeps by the A's in 1989 and the Reds this season are the first back-to-back sweeps by different teams in history. The Reds have won nine straight World Series games -- dating to the seventh game in 1975 -- for the third longest such streak of all time. . . .

Reds relievers have thrown 27 straight scoreless innings in World Series play, a string that goes back to Carlton Fisk's 12th-inning home run for the Red Sox in 1975's Game 6. . . .

The Offseason Begins

Today was the first filing day for major league free agents, although the fact that it was a Sunday meant that there was no one with whom to file.

The Baltimore Orioles were busy, however, as they decided not to pick up the option year of left-handed reliever Joe Price's contract. He apparently was to be in their plans until a test left doubt about his troublesome back.

"If there was no concern {about Price's health} whatsoever, it's likely that we would have exercised the option," said General Manager Roland Hemond, adding that the move also was made to free a space for a prospect on the team's 40-man roster that must be set by Nov. 20.

Price, 3-4 with a 3.58 ERA in 50 games last season, now is a free agent. The Orioles have until December to decide about their other option-year player, Ron Kittle. They expect catcher Mickey Tettleton to file for free agency this week.

Others who filed on the first day of the 15-day period were outfielder Rob Deer of the Milwaukee Brewers and pitcher Jeff Robinson of the New York Yankees.