NEW YORK, NOV. 2 -- The New York Islanders blew an early two-goal lead, but went on to end the New York Rangers' record 8-0 home-ice start with a 3-2 victory tonight as defenseman Joe Reekie scored his first goal of the season at 5:40 of the third period.

Reekie's screened shot from the right point went between the pads of Rangers goalie John Vanbiesbrouck, who had won his last six starts and was named the NHL's player of the month for October.

Glenn Healy, the Islanders' goalie, stopped 29 shots, including Mike Gartner's breakaway with 25 seconds to play. The Rangers outshot the Islanders, 15-5, in the third period.

The Rangers (11-4-0) had been 11-1 in their previous 12 games and lead the league with 22 points.

The Islanders (4-9-0), last in the Patrick Division, had won only twice in their last 17 regular season trips to Madison Square Garden. They were defeated in all three playoff games at the Garden in losing a five-game series last season.

Hubie McDonough put the Islanders ahead at 4:02 of the first period. Brent Sutter made it 2-0 at 17:06, converting Derek King's cross-ice feed from the left point to the right slot.

Sutter's goal came four seconds after the Rangers killed a five-minute major penalty to Randy Moller, who high-sticked Derek King of the Islanders. Moller also received a game misconduct. King was taken to a hospital with a mild concussion.

The Rangers scored at 18:56 of the second period when John Ogrodnick put a shot off Healy's pad. They tied it 1:28 into the third period on Ray Sheppard's rebound goal.

The Islanders, who outshot the Rangers by 17-5 in the first period, maintained a territorial edge for much of the second period. But the Rangers scored the only goal when John Ogrodnick picked up a loose puck in the slot and snapped a 15-footer off Healy's left pad at 18:56.

The Rangers tied it 1:28 into the third period. Healy stopped Bernie Nicholls's shot but Ray Sheppard got the rebound, stickhandled around Healy and tucked a backhander in the open side.