ATLANTA, NOV. 10 -- Prior to today's game against Virginia Tech, the Georgia Tech cheerleaders hoisted a banner to the crowd of 43,011 at Bobby Dodd Stadium that boldly read, "Same State -- Same Fate."

It could not have been more prophetic.

Virginia Tech played its best defensive game of the year, holding a Yellow Jackets team that had run up 89 points in its last two games to a season-low six. But exactly like last week when Georgia Tech upset then top-ranked Virginia, Scott Sisson won another one when he booted a 38-yard field goal with eight seconds remaining for a 6-3 victory.

"I'm not a prophet, but I really felt that this was exactly the way this game was going to be," Georgia Tech Coach Bobby Ross said. "I don't think we played poorly, I think we were playing a good football team. We had a tough time."

Scott Jones drove Georgia Tech 63 yards in 64 seconds, almost exactly as he did a week ago, to set up Sisson's dramatic kick. Jones completed four passes for 57 yards and ran for another six in that final drive.

The key play in the drive was his 15-yard completion to running back William Bell, who also had 88 yards rushing on 23 carries. Behind a stiff Hokies' pass rush that already had three sacks and many other hurried passes, Jones deftly avoided two would-be tacklers and broke into the open field. From there he hit Bell just in-bounds to stop the clock.

"The kid {Jones} plays his best when the game's on the line," Virginia Tech Coach Frank Beamer said. "I thought we had a sack there but he just gets around a couple of our guys and completes that pass for a big gain."

Ross could only be pleased with his seventh-ranked team's second straight come-from-behind win. "I thought our offense in that last two-minute drive did a fantastic job. That was a lot of poise. We were going into the wind."

That drive was a rarity in a game that had four missed field goals -- two by each team -- five interceptions and three lost fumbles.

It was not until 8:16 remained that the scoreless tie was broken. Starting at their 43, Hokies quarterback Will Furrer tossed a pass in the flat to tailback Tony Kennedy who turned the corner and sprinted 38 yards before being dragged down from behind. The Hokies had a first and goal at the 6but settled for Mickey Thomas's 22-yarder and a 3-0 lead.

Georgia Tech answered on its next possession with a 55-yard drive. But the Hokies' defense held fast and forced Sisson to kick a 33-yard field goal to even it at 3-3.

On the next series the Hokies were driving with less than four minutes left. At their 39, the Hokies fumbled the handoff and linebacker Chris Simmons fell on it to stop Virginia Tech's last serious threat.