Top-ranked Springbrook held steady on defense and cashed in on the play of senior running back Leonard Green, who scored three touchdowns in an 18-0 victory over visiting Churchill yesterday.

The victory boosted the Blue Devils to 10-0 overall, 5-0 in Montgomery County Division I and gave them their second consecutive division title and the home field in a first-round playoff game. The season is over for Churchill (7-3, 3-2).

The Blue Devils finished with 285 yards offensively, with the bulk of the production coming from Green, who rushed 32 times for 197 yards. The Bulldogs, on the other hand, had their problems on offense, going minus-one yard on 17 rushes and gaining 10 yards on two receptions.

"Our defense could never get off the field," said Churchill Coach Fred Shepherd. "They stopped us from getting outside and catching anything."

The Blue Devils closed the doors on the Bulldogs late in the fourth quarter, when Springbrook took the ball 44 yards in 11 plays as Green went in from the 4 with 1:09 remaining.

"I ran the ball as hard as I possibly could today," said Green. "But I really cannot take all the credit myself; our linemen made some great blocks out there."

The Bulldogs, who were never in the position to score, were helped early in the game as Blue Devils kicker Michael Gillespie missed field goal tries of 32 and 33 yards plus two extra points.

"It probably was a combination of the wind and the field conditions," said Gillespie. "I am really glad that we scored enough points so that it did not come down to a field goal."

Dropped passes and loose footing were the results of slippery field conditions in the first half. But again, it was the Blue Devils who overcame the cold and muddy field.

With 3:23 remaining in the second quarter and the ball on the 50-yard line, Springbrook needed only two plays to score. Green picked up four yards on a dive play up the middle, then Anthony Sawyer hit Green on a 46-yard screen play to make it 6-0 at 2:53.

Churchill took over on the 37-yard line, but quickly punted.

The Blue Devils then got the ball on their 46-yard line, with 41 seconds remaining. Four plays later, Green sweeped down the right sideline 46 yards for his 21st touchdown of the season. The conversion pass was intercepted, making the score 12-0 at the end of the half.