BALTIMORE, NOV. 12 -- Bethesda-Chevy Chase survived an early goal by Severna Park and came back to beat the Falcons, 2-1, to win the Maryland State Class 4A field hockey championship at Goucher College today.

The victory gave Coach Mike Carroll a second state championship at B-CC. His Barons (14-1) beat Severna Park in the 1988 final after losing to the Falcons in 1987.

Kristen Hurt scored B-CC's first goal and was instrumental in setting up Emily Kelley's winner.

"I think we almost needed that to fire us up," Carroll said of the Falcons' 1-0 lead. "But we had the athletes, physically. It was very difficult for them to keep up with our forwards. That's been our strength all year. They're just so fast."

Severna Park Coach Lil Shelton said B-CC was the quickest team she had seen this year. "Yes, by far," she said. "We weren't used to playing anyone that fast. They were very good."

Yet, Severna Park jumped ahead at 6:19 after receiving a free hit at the top of the circle. Tricia Gately shot at point-blank range but goalie Jessica Milhollin got a piece of it. The ball trickled behind Milhollin as she dove to stop it but Gately was there again to knock it into the goal.

After that, the Barons dominated the rest of the half.

"In the beginning I don't think we were playing that well so it was really good that they scored first," said Kelley. "That made us realize that we had to pick it up quickly or we weren't going to win."

At 22:25, B-CC broke through to tie the game. Hurt took a pass off a penalty corner and shot it past goalie Rachel Kidwell.

The Barons' offensive pressure continued, and five minutes later, Kelley scored the biggest goal of the season.

"Kristen {Hurt} shot it and it hit one of the defensive players in the stomach," Kelley said. "I had the choice of staying back and waiting for the whistle or taking the shot. I went with it and all I wanted to hear was the loud boom of the ball hitting the boards."

In the second half, B-CC's defense sealed the win. Kelley and fullback Sarah Warlick patrolled the midfield and stopped most of Severna Park's charges.

In the final minute, Severna Park had two consecutive penalty corners. On the second, Warlick intercepted a pass and cleared it off to left wing as time ran out.

In the Class 1A championship, Brenda Warnick's overtime goal gave Easton a 2-1 victory over Pocomoke.