PHILADELPHIA, NOV. 16 -- The Washington Bullets should file for a patent on these types of basketball games. This team is haunted by some sort of mysticism that allows 35-foot shots to go in at buzzers, robbing it of deserved victories.

Tonight it was the Philadelphia 76ers' Ron Anderson who threw in such a shot with 4.4 seconds left in regulation, after telling the 76ers in the huddle that he would take it. The result of overtime was inevitable, and the Bullets, who led by 10 with less than five minutes left in regulation, dropped a 115-102 heartbreaker at The Spectrum.

Washington's Bernard King scored a team-high 33 points, with eight rebounds and eight assists, but didn't score after a breathtaking run of 18 straight Bullets points in the third quarter. The 76ers denied him the ball down the stretch, and with Harvey Grant (15 points) fouled out, Washington (2-5) had no one to go to.

"I told Charles {Barkley} in the huddle," Anderson said, "that this is my three. If I get it, I'm going to make it. And it just killed their confidence and gave us something extra to work for."

Barkley scored 35 points and grabbed 18 rebounds before fouling out early in overtime. Anderson added 22; Hersey Hawkins had 20, although he made just six of 21 shots.

Philadelphia shot an abysmal 38 percent, but annihilated Washington with a 72-48 rebounding advantage.

Bullets guard Darrell Walker barely missed what would have been his second triple-double of the season with 15 points, 12 rebounds and 9 assists. Mark Alarie scored 15 off the bench.

"This is a game we should have had," King said. "For 47 1/2 minutes we were the better basketball team. No one thought we could come in here and beat Philadelphia, but we outplayed them the whole ballgame. Other than that three-point shot, it was our game."

The Bullets scored just one point in the final 4:59, after Alarie's free throw gave them a 95-85 lead. They then missed six shots and turned the ball over twice.

The 76ers (5-3) tightened up on King, guarding him with two players at every opportunity. He tried to pass, but Philadelphia was also clogging up the passing lanes. With Washington's offense stalled, Philadelphia scored eight straight.

But it still looked as if the Bullets would hold on. The 76ers scratched closer and closer, and got within 95-93 with 51.8 seconds left on a Barkley free throw. Rick Mahorn came up with a steal at the other end, but Charles Jones blocked a Brian Oliver drive -- one of five Washington blocked shots in the quarter -- and Walker grabbed the loose ball.

The Bullets tried to protect their lead by running down the clock, but strategy timeouts led to Washington using all three of its remaining timeouts.

They could have used another in the closing seconds as they were trying to inbound. They finally got it in and Pervis Ellison (three points) was fouled with 9.7 seconds left. He made one of two, with Mike Gminski rebounding the miss.

The 76ers wanted to get Hawkins open in the corner. The Bullets were in their "Blitz" defense, which means they switch on any open players all over the floor. Alarie wound up with Anderson out front, some 40 feet from the basket.

"We were looking to get close enough," Bullets Coach Wes Unseld said. "We're supposed to get up on a guy and if you're close enough to him, even foul him. But we didn't even get close enough to do it. You should be totally up on a guy. He was pretty far out, but Alarie still should have been on him."

"The first option was Hersey," Anderson said. "But Darrell Walker wouldn't let him catch the basketball. I just came tough to the basketball. I came as hard I can. When I caught it, I faked as if going left. I crossed over and he kind of fell for the drive. As soon as I took one dribble to the right, I picked it up and shot it."

Said Alarie: "I thought they were going to Hersey first, Anderson second. It really wasn't much of a play. He just took two dribbles and pulled up. That was a long jump shot."

The overtime was a formality as the 76ers scored eight of the first 10 points. But that was expected.

Some years ago, Barkley banked in a three-pointer at the buzzer to beat the Bullets. Two years ago, Magic Johnson threw in a 40-footer to tie a game at the end of regulation against Washington.

And now, the Bullets can sadly remember Ron Anderson's Called Shot.