Larry Washington of Randallstown scored all five of his team's touchdowns as the Rams defeated Seneca Valley, 33-21, last night at Catonsville Community College in a Maryland Class 4A quarterfinal playoff game.

Third-seeded Randallstown (11-0) will play the winner of today's Oxon Hill-High Point game in the state semifinals next weekend. Sixth-seeded Seneca Valley, whose other loss came against Springbrook early in the season, finishes 9-2.

Last night's stars were both running backs. For Randallstown, it was Washington, who rushed for 319 yards on 23 carries to go along with his five touchdowns. For Seneca Valley, Melvin Brown finished with 114 yards on 20 carries and scored all three of the Screaming Eagles' touchdowns.

Randallstown took a 13-0 halftime lead and wasted little time in scoring again in the second half. On the first play from scrimmage, Washington outran everybody by at least four steps down the right sideline for a 60-yard score as the Rams took a 20-0 lead with 11:26 remaining in the third period.

Seneca Valley finally got things going and put together an eight-play, 70-yard drive. Brown finished it off with a three-yard touchdown run as the Screaming Eagles got within 20-7 with 10:35 to play in the period.

Randallstown and Washington came right back, however. On first down at the Rams 22, Washington outran everybody once again, this time sweeping left 78 yards for his fourth touchdown of the game as Randallstown opened a 27-7 lead with 5:38 left in the period.

Early in the fourth quarter, Seneca Valley narrowed the gap as Brown capped a four-play, 36-yard drive with a nine-yard score up the middle. The extra point made it 27-14 with 10:27 remaining in the game and kept the Eagles alive.

With 2:48 remaining, Seneca Valley's Myron Weaver blocked a punt deep in Randallstown territory and the Eagles took over at the Rams 3-yard line. Two plays later, Brown got his final touchdown of the game by going up the middle for the score. The extra point cut Randallstown's lead to 27-21 with 2:28 remaining.

Once again, Randallstown went to Washington, and once again he responded, this time breaking free for a 34-yard score with 1:39 remaining that sealed Seneca Valley's fate.

"We knew they had a good team with a great back," said Seneca Valley Coach Terry Changuris. "We made some mistakes on offense early and never caught up."

Seneca Valley opened the game by moving the ball with success on the ground. But the drive ended when none other than Washington intercepted a pass at the Randallstown 20-yard line and returned it 40 yards to the Seneca Valley 20.

The Rams and Washington then went to work as the senior carried four times in the six-play drive, scoring on a sweep from three yards out with 5:11 remaining in the first quarter. The extra-point kick was wide and the score remained 6-0.

After a failed possesion, Seneca Valley punted the ball deep into Randallstown territory. The Rams quickly marched 86 yards in seven plays, relying a great deal on the quick, agile moves of Washington. He carried the ball six times for 67 yards before scoring from 18 yards out on a sweep to the left.

Seneca Valley tried relentlessly to score before the half. The Screaming Eagles were handed three opportunities to do so, but four penalties for 40 yards stifled their efforts and left them trailing by 13-0 at the half.