Douglass celebrated its first playoff appearance in 15 years by crushing Walkersville, 35-0, yesterday in a Maryland Class 2A quarterfinal at Douglass.

Douglass, the Prince George's 3A/2A champion, takes on Wilde Lake next Saturday. The Eagles improved to 10-1, while the Lions, of the Monocacy Valley Athletic League, finished 9-2.

Douglass Coach John Latzo was pleased to have another game, regardless of the competition: "We just want to play, that's all. Some of these kids have been waiting for this for four years.

"We have to practice on Thanksgiving Day and they're probably not going to care for that, though."

Working out of a wishbone formation, the Eagles used seven running backs in racking up 320 yards rushing. Charles Tucker did the most damage with 145 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries.

"Today we really didn't need to throw much with the way we ran the ball," Latzo said. "If we don't have to, we're not going to."

Dave Fant chipped in with two rushing scores and quarterback Errick Douglas also kept the Lions busy with 65 yards on 13 carries.

With 38 seconds to go in the opening period, the Eagles finished a 53-yard, 10-play drive with Fant's one-yard run. The Lions failed on the conversion pass.

After Damien Gross intercepted an Eric Williams pass, the Eagles scored on a 70-yard, 12-play drive ending with Fant's 22-yard score. Fant also ran in the two-point conversion with 5:19 to go in the half, giving Douglass a 14-0 lead.

After intermission the Eagles capitalized on another Williams miscue when Derrick Smith picked off a pass and returned it 30 yards to the Lions' 27-yard line. Tucker put the game out of reach with a 14-yard sweep, making it 20-0 with 3:31 left in the third quarter.

On their next possession, the Eagles went 78 yards in seven plays, thanks to Tucker's 61-yard burst and two-yard touchdown run, making the score 28-0 at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

To make things worse for Walkersville, Gross returned Williams' third interception 30 yards for a touchdown. Troy Charney's kick closed the scoring at 35-0.