Bowie climbed to No. 1 the fourth week of the fall soccer season and never relinquished the top spot, finishing first in The Washington Post's area boys rankings and second in the nation (USA Today).

The Bulldogs wrapped it up when they edged No. 5 Broadneck, 2-1, in sudden death to win the Maryland Class 4A championship Saturday night at Old Mill.

The game showcased a contrast of styles as undefeated Bowie unleashed a torrid offensive attack, firing 33 shots. The Bulldogs displayed masterful dribbling and passing and quickly gained the initiative in pinning Broadneck deep in its backfield.

But the Bruins, who entered as overwhelming underdogs, refused to break and goalie Sean Tettemer, when he wasn't in perfect position to catch one of the Bulldogs' many zingers, was leaping, diving or making one-handed swatting saves. And when Tettemer became inundated with shots, Broadneck's fullbacks, led by All-Met sweeper Jarett Smith, lined the net.

"I can't get over how good their defense played," said Bowie Coach Richard Kirkland. "They did a good job of forcing us to shoot from the outside."

This superbly played, emotionally charged championship, before a standing-room crowd, was a fitting season finale. It appeared Bowie would wrap up its title in regulation after Steve Wandzilak scored with 10 1/2 minutes to play. But Broadneck, which realized its only chance was to play out of a defensive shell and hope for a transition score, caught up on Rich Aftoora's goal with 3 1/2 minutes remaining. That set the stage for Byron Pena's game-winning bullet from 30 yards, 4 1/2 minutes into sudden death.

"If you're going to lose, you might as well lose on a shot like that, one that no one could stop," said Broadneck Coach Kevin McMullen. "That was a heck of a shot."

No. 3 Oakland Mills had an easy time in the Class 3A final, winning a record seventh state title in routing Franklin, 6-0, as All-Met forward Malcolm Gillian had three goals and two assists. Gillian (18 goals, nine assists) was involved in 11 of the Scorpions' 12 postseason goals, scoring nine. All-Met midfielder Clint Peay had a goal and an assist.

No. 8 Atholton won its first state soccer championship, shutting out Fallston, 3-0, in Class 2A as Tony Dedmond (15 goals, 11 assists) scored twice and had an assist. Raiders All-Met goalie Kori Hunter had nine saves.

No. 4 Ireton, led by All-Met sweeper Danny Ensley (14 goals, 12 assists) and second team All-Met forward John Pillion (23 goals), won its second Metro Conference title. Chris Scrofani had 18 goals for the Cardinals, who last won in 1985.

Islamic Saudi Academy defeated Pallotti, 1-0 in overtime, to win the Independent League A Division title. Wilson won the B Division, defeating Bell, 2-0.

Severna Park's girls, led by All-Met twins fullback Tina and goalkeeper Tami Riley, rallied to defeat Oakland Mills, 2-1, for their third straight Class 4A/3A title. Emily Vandergrift scored first for Severna Park and Michelle Cope had the game-winner. Danette Lemerise scored for Oakland Mills.