Surviving the scare of his career, Washington lightweight Keely Thompson was resilient when he had to be and outbattled Enrique Sanchez for a sixth-round technical knockout last night at the Washington Convention Center in the feature bout on a card filled with controversy.

D.C. Boxing Commission Chairman Jeffrey Gildenhorn said he would withhold the purses of all the fighters, except those in two bouts, pending review Monday because they were "clear mismatches."

"The promoter has a fiduciary relationship to the city of Washington," Gildenhorn said. "We want decent bouts, not mismatches. They will receive my harshest reprimand."

Gildenhorn said the bout between David Izewire and Bobby Jackson (a second-round TKO for Izewire) and the main event were not affected by his decision. He added he had not notified promoter DeWayne Chambers of his decision pending the review of tapes.

In the main event, the veteran Sanchez, 33, shocked the pro-Thompson crowd by coming out in splendid physical condition and by dominating the first two rounds. He opened by flooring Thompson with a left-right combination midway through round one, although it appeared Thompson did slip on the canvas.

In the third round, Thompson connected with several jabs -- one blow, though, was declared too low by referee Sylvester Stevens, who allowed Sanchez time to catch his breath.

In Round 4, Stevens deducted a point from Thompson for again hitting below the belt. The pair battled evenly through the fourth and fifth rounds, but it grew apparent Sanchez was tiring rapidly.

Stevens stopped the fight at 2:05 of Round 6 after Thompson scored with several left-right combinations.

The undercard started in bizarre fashion with a ruling of no contest in the opening bout between Washington lightweights Tony Pressley and Paul Hagins.

Pressley controlled the first and only round, pinning Hagins against the ropes and subduing him with a flurry of punches. One of his shots, though, was termed an "unintentional head butt" by referee Marshall Cunningham. The blow immediately opened a large cut above Hagins's left eye.

When ringside physician George Branche ruled Hagins could not come out for the second round, Gildenhorn made the no contest call. "I did not see the head butt," he said. "But I felt it would be too judgmental to award the fight {to Pressley} because of the head butt so I called it a no contest."

Michael Ward (2-1), a 19-year-old welterweight from Fort Washington, entered his fight with South Carolina's Odis Vereen (3-6) a heavy favorite, then showed why with a powerful combination that sent Vereen careering to the canvas at 1:34 of the first round.

Vereen lay on the canvas for several minutes, but left the ring under his own power. He was taken to George Washington University Hospital by ambulance as a "precautionary measure," Gildenhorn said.

Rockville welterweight Les Johnson upped his professional record to 7-0 with a first-round knockout. Johnson came out swinging against James Nash (4-5) of Spartanburg, S.C., then connected with one powerful blow at 1:11 that proved too much for the 33-year-old Nash.

Washington junior middleweight Sylvester Tibbs (4-1) dispatched another South Carolinian, James Mullins (4-5), with an impressive arsenal that concluded with Mullins backed into his corner on the receiving end of blow after blow. Referee Karl Mulligan stopped the bout at 2:37 of round two.