RALEIGH, N.C., NOV. 25 -- Dwayne Hampton's penalty kick in a sudden-death shootout today gave North Carolina State a 2-1 victory over Virginia, eliminating the defending co-champions and sending the Wolfpack to its first NCAA men's soccer Final Four.

The fourth-ranked Wolfpack (18-4) will play UCLA (17-1-4) Saturday in the semifinals in Tampa.

"When they missed, I was happy and I thought it was over," said Hampton, who sat out the last four minutes of the first half as trainers stitched a gash over his left eye inflicted by a Cavalier elbow. "But then they motioned for me to step up and take my shot. I just picked a spot in the middle and that was it."

The junior defender's kick, high and in the right-center of the net, beat goalkeeper Jeff Causey and ended a 3 1/2-hour battle before 2,225 at North Carolina State's Method Road Stadium.

The ACC rivals had played twice this season, splitting the matches.

"We got a few chances," said Wolfpack Coach George Tarantini, "but no good opportunities."

A foul -- one of 45 for the 10th-ranked Cavaliers (12-5-7) -- set up the Wolfpack's goal midway through the second half. Cavaliers defender Brian Bates was called for tripping Tom Tanner in the box, and midfielder Dario Brose easily beat Causey on the left side.

"The penalty kick wasn't a particularly good call," said Virginia Coach Bruce Arena. "But then I think the whistle was blown too much. It's absurd to have that many penalties for a game at this level." N.C. State had 35 fouls.

Virginia tied the game at 84:36. A penalty gave the Cavaliers a free kick from 25 yards, and senior Kris Kelderman hit a shot that David Allred deflected but could not control. The ball fell in a tangle of feet in front of the goal, and senior Jeff Agoos rushed forward to knock it into the open goal.

Neither team managed a good scoring opportunity after that, but N.C. State quickly gained the advantage in the first phase of the shootout. Allred dived right to bat away Virginia's first shot by Agoos. But Causey evened it with a spectacular save on a shot by Henry Gutierrez, breaking right but recovering to clear Gutierrez's shot to his left.

The next eight shooters found the mark, ending the first shootout at 4-4 and sending the match into sudden death. Virginia's Ben Crawley and Lyle Yorks scored, but their goals were matched by Dewan Bader and Tanner. But Cavaliers junior Richie Williams approached his shot nervously, then punched the ball high over the goal, opening the door for Hampton.

"I had watched the first shooters and he {Causey} was breaking to either side," Hampton said. "That left the middle open."

UCLA 2, Southern Methodist 0:

In advancing to the semifinals, goaltender Brad Friedel had seven saves and the second-ranked Bruins extended their home winning streak to 39. Southern Methodist finished 18-4-1.

Evansville 1, Indiana 0:

Tim Ernst scored midway through the first half in Evansville, Ind., as the top-ranked Aces beat Indiana (16-4-2) to move to a semifinal against Rutgers. Evansville (24-0-2) has won 20 consecutive games and has 20 shutouts this season.

Rutgers 1, Dartmouth 0:

In Piscataway, N.J., Rutgers (19-2-2) advanced to the semifinals for the second straight year by beating the Big Green (14-2-2) on Jeff Carstens's goal in the eighth minute.