A good day all around for the Washington Bullets.

Bernard King signed a two-year contract extension.

Ledell Eackles looked just like always.

And the Bullets played their best all-around game of the season to hang on to a 115-113 victory over the Golden State Warriors before 6,966 at Capital Centre last night.

The Bullets (4-8) have now won two in a row for the first time this season, despite a barrage of three-point plays, of both the normal and foul-induced variety, by the Warriors (8-6). Washington had a somewhat balanced attack for once, with King leading five players in double figures with 39 points and adding seven rebounds.

Forward Harvey Grant had 22 points and nine rebounds. Point guard Haywoode Workman was solid in 40 minutes with 15 points and just two turnovers. Off guard Darrell Walker had 12 points and 12 assists.

In his first game of the season, Eackles was five of 10 from the floor and scored 13 points in 15 minutes.

"This is a ballclub that was tailor-made for our style of play," King said. "A team like Golden State is a good situation for this ballclub, because it allows us to take advantage of so many things in our passing game.

"When they switch we can step in and receive the ball, and we can also hit the guy coming off the screen."

Eackles was on the floor all of 42 seconds when he hoisted up his first shot. He made it, and the one after that.

The problem came when he went to the foul line, where he was just three of eight.

"That was kind of off tonight," Eackles said.

"Later on, I hit about three in a row. For a minute {my wind} was all right, and then it went back and forth. It's all right."

"Now all we have to do is get Fatso in shape," Walker said of Eackles. "But he can still smell the basket."

Washington shot 52 percent from the floor, its best mark of the season. The Bullets made just 25 of 36 from the foul line, but they hit the important ones, going 10 of 12 in the fourth quarter.

Defensively, Pervis Ellison had a career-high eight blocked shots besides six rebounds. The Bullets outrebounded the Warriors, 45-32.

The Warriors aren't the league's second-leading offense (first place has been retired by the score-big-and-lose Denver Nuggets) for nothing. Golden State took 11 three-point shots, making seven, and had five three-point plays -- and missed two free throws that would have given them three-point plays.

Mitch Richmond came off the injured list with a team-high 28 points. Point guard Tim Hardaway was unstoppable with 26 points before fouling out early in the fourth quarter, and Chris Mullin added 22.

"It sure would have been different if Hardaway was in the game," Warriors Coach Don Nelson said. "It's frustrating when you lose a star player and lose the game. I would have taken Hardaway out after five fouls {in the third quarter} if I was confident in the other players."

Still, Golden State kept making incredible shots, roaring back from a 17-point third-quarter deficit at 73-56. Richmond tossed in a couple with Olympic degrees of difficulty, and finally tied the game at 95 with 6:52 left.

The Warriors took the lead on the second of two three-point plays by Tom Tolbert (18 points) with 5:09 remaining.

The lead changed hands five times down the stretch before King put Washington ahead, 108-107, with 1:36 left by following Walker's miss.

Walker then hit a jumper at the top of the key. Golden State came downcourt with 47 seconds left, and the way the Warriors were shooting, no lead was safe.

But Walker stripped Mullin of the ball and was fouled in the scramble. He made one of two at 43.6 seconds and the Bullets' lead was four.

Tolbert made two free throws, and after Walker missed, Golden State came down on the run.

But Walker bothered Richmond enough on the break that he lost control of the ball, and it went up through the bottom of the basket. That bizarre turnover (Rule 10, Section 11 of the NBA rules covers this) gave Washington the ball.

Walker and Workman sandwiched four free throws around another three-pointer -- Tolbert's -- to give Washington a 115-112 lead with 7.5 seconds left.

The Bullets have been burned by last-second three-pointers a couple of times this season. But they executed the way they wanted to this night.

Charles Jones immediately fouled Tolbert with 1.5 seconds left. Tolbert made the first, then deliberately missed the second.

He put the ball up soft, however, and for a split-second, it appeared as if Tyrone Hill was going to be able to slide inside for a game-tying tip-in.

Jones slapped the ball to the left corner, though, and Walker gathered it in.

And the last time the Warriors won on their once-a-season visits here remained November 1983.