Georgetown Coach John Thompson said he knew all along that yesterday's made-for-the-Mutombos game against Southern Indiana would produce a trying afternoon for Hoyas center Dikembe Mutombo, who was facing his older brother and former basketball mentor, Ilo.

Undoubtedly more distressing, though, was the way the rest of Georgetown's players struggled against the Division II Screaming Eagles. Of course, the Hoyas still had Alonzo Mourning and he assured that the outcome rarely was in doubt, but their 65-45 victory before 7,853 at Capital Centre left Thompson more than a few worries with a meeting with No. 8 Duke just four days away.

"This was basically the kind of game where you have to go down the road {and} get the experiences," Thompson said after Georgetown shot 40 percent, was outrebounded and needed most of the first half to gain real breathing room. "You can't talk the kids into having experiences. . . . I saw some good things."

The ninth-ranked Hoyas (3-0) were pushed more than they likely expected, however. Southern Indiana (3-2) trailed by just eight points 6:22 before halftime, although Georgetown's lead was 13 at the break and 21 shortly thereafter.

The Screaming Eagles defense sagged inside on Mourning and Mutombo, and the Hoyas' outside players usually were not able to capitalize. Southern Indiana grabbed 49 rebounds to Georgetown's 40, and some full-court pressure late in the game gave the Hoyas trouble.

"We're still working things out a little bit," said Mourning, who had a game-high 20 points and added 10 rebounds and three assists in 39 minutes. "We'll be okay. . . . This can be a very, very good team."

The first true test will come Wednesday, when the Blue Devils visit Capital Centre as part of the ACC-Big East Challenge. Thompson said he welcomes the opportunity for his newcomers to play their first high-intensity college game, and Mourning pledged: "We're ready for whoever's on the other side of the court from us."

But Georgetown's optimism often was betrayed by its sluggishness yesterday. The Hoyas trailed, 13-12, 7:04 into the contest before a methodical 21-2 run over the next nine minutes gave them an 18-point lead.

The cushion was 34-21 at halftime, and a sloppy second half -- at one point, the teams were six for 35 on field goals -- saw Georgetown lead by 24 even as it suffered through extended lapses on offense.

The battle of the Mutombos, meanwhile, produced no clear winner. Ilo led Southern Indiana with 12 points and 11 rebounds, and he managed a three-point play that sent his brother to the bench with his fifth foul with 3:18 to play.

But Dikembe -- who shot just three for nine and finished with six points and nine rebounds -- victimized Ilo for two of his five blocked shots. "It was just Georgetown against Southern Indiana, not me against Ilo," the younger Mutombo said.

"I got him sometimes and he got me sometimes," said Ilo, who first persuaded Dikembe to play basketball as a soccer-loving youth in their native Kinshasa, Zaire. "But his team won, so I guess he won too."

Said Thompson, recalling that one of his worst games as a collegian came when he returned here to play in his home town: "I predicted Dikembe would not have a great game. I told my staff before the game, 'I bet Dikembe stinks.' . . . That kind of stuff never has a storybook ending."

Hoyas Notes: Seven-foot-2 freshman Pascal Fleury, whom Thompson had planned to redshirt, played for the first time for Georgetown, a four-minute, two-foul stint. Sophomore guard Antoine Stoudamire, who missed much of the preseason with strep throat and a virus, also played. Sophomore forward Mike Sabol was not in uniform for what Thompson described as academic reasons.