The Washington Redskins had their scariest moment Saturday night when backup cornerback Sidney Johnson was knocked cold while covering a kickoff return. He was carried off the field motionless on a stretcher and didn't regain consciousness until he was in an ambulance on his way to the hospital.

But Johnson likely will miss only one game, and yesterday the Redskins were looking at a couple of other injuries they might feel -- if not remember -- a lot more.

Defensive tackle Eric Williams appears to be the most serious and might not play again this season after suffering a stretched or torn ligament in his right foot.

It's certain he'll miss the final regular season game next Sunday against the Buffalo Bills at RFK Stadium, and the Redskins will hold their breath the next few days hoping Williams has a quick recovery.

Then there's running back Kelvin Bryant. Just when it looked as if he'd finally make it through an entire pro season without getting hurt, he sprained his left knee while being twisted to the turf.

Trainer Bubba Tyer wouldn't speculate on how much time Bryant would miss, but he was out about six weeks with a similar injury two years ago.

The severity of the other injuries is less clear. Guards Mark Schlereth and Raleigh McKenzie have sprained ankles, defensive end Charles Mann a sprained knee and Art Monk a sore knee. It appears all of them, unlike Williams, Bryant and Johnson, might play next week.

Williams, saying "it sounded like glass crunching when it happened," was on crutches yesterday and feeling bad for a number of reasons, beginning with the fact that he was looking forward to being in the playoffs for the first time in his NFL career (he joined the Redskins this season after spending his first six years with the Lions).

"I expect the worse and hope for the best," he said. "I was hoping it was a sprained ankle or something that at least I'd know what I was dealing with. I don't even want to think about it. It's my first damn time in the playoffs and I get hurt. And I don't get hurt. I might be banged up, but I don't miss games. I didn't hit anyone. I pushed off, and I guess it was a combination of my weight and the turf."

His injury could force the Redskins to use one of their two remaining free roster moves.

Defensive end Markus Koch is expected to miss a second straight game with a sprained knee, and that leaves the Redskins with only five healthy defensive linemen, meaning that tackle Tracy Rocker might be activated off the injured reserve list.

Rocker started 10 games at the end of last season and seven games this season until being replaced by Williams in the eighth. He was placed on injured reserve after slightly spraining a knee -- and jumping offside at a key moment against the New York Giants.

Meanwhile, Johnson surprised the Redskins by showing up at the Indianapolis Airport while the team was in a two-hour flight delay after the game.

Redskins doctors had asked that he spent a night or two at the hospital for observation, but when all neurological tests were normal, he was released.

The Redskins sent him to Arlington Hospital yesterday for tests and a night of rest and were expecting him back at Redskin Park today. He likely will miss at least one game.

Johnson was uncertain what happened on the play. He was covering a first-quarter kickoff and fighting off a double-team when, he said, "I looked to the middle of the field for a second, and someone got me."

Replays are inconclusive but appear to show that a Colt put a helmet into his chest, and during the collision the helmet slide up and hit Johnson on the chin.

That's all news to Johnson, who said even if he gets out of the hospital in time for this afternoon's film session, he may not watch his injury.

"People ask me if I'll be scared the next time," he said. "I don't think I can be scared of something I don't remember. I didn't remember anything when I woke up in the ambulance."