MINNEAPOLIS, JAN. 4 -- The public address announcer made a mistake before tonight's game and said Ledell Eackles was starting. He didn't. But by the time he was finished, so were the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Eackles came off the bench and did what the Washington Bullets have been waiting for all season, scoring 22 points in a 111-100 victory before 19,006 at Target Center.

He scored 12 in the fourth quarter, when Washington's reserves upheld the starter's charge. The combination gave the Bullets (13-17) their third straight victory overall and third straight on the road, something they hadn't done since the first week of last season.

Bernard King's 26 points led the Bullets, with Harvey Grant getting 25 points and nine rebounds. Darrell Walker had 10 points, 8 rebounds and 14 assists, the latter tying his season high for the second straight game.

And Washington's center tandem of Charles Jones and Pervis Ellison combined for 16 points, 17 rebounds and 4 blocked shots.

Eackles' 22 points came in 26 minutes, providing the points-per-minute production the Bullets have hoped for to complement King and Grant. He made eight of 11 shots and six of eight free throws. And he committed no turnovers.

"I've been feeling better and better," he said. "I go to the gym almost every day when some people have off, just working a little bit on my own with the assistant coaches. I've just started pushing myself every day and not given up."

"This is what I was hoping to get out of Ledell," Bullets Coach Wes Unseld said. "That was by far his longest {actually second-longest} and his best effort."

Washington needed the production after Tyrone Corbin shot out the lights in the first half for the Timberwolves (9-20), to the tune of 20 points. Grant had been guarding him, but the Bullets switched Grant to Tony Campbell (23 points) and put Walker on Corbin. Corbin got six points in the second half.

Said Walker: "Wes told me to tighten up on {Corbin}. I got a little more aggressive and made him work a little harder. He didn't do too much damage the second half. We calmed him down."

Meanwhile, the Bullets pushed the ball for fast-break baskets in 12-2 and 11-5 runs in the third quarter, which erased a 59-54 halftime deficit.

"Tyrone Corbin and Tony Campbell, they were almost unstoppable," Grant said. "We started to really run them and work them on defense. And I guess they ran out of steam. And the guys came off the bench and did a great job."

Washington led by 11 late in the third quarter, but Minnesota scored 12 of the period's last 15 points -- with Scott Brooks (17 points) leading the way -- and trailed 82-80 entering the final period. The Timberwolves had the momentum, and the Bullets had to give King and Grant, who got kneed by 7-foot Felton Spencer late in the period, a rest.

Enter Eackles and Ellison. Eackles started the quarter with a three-point play, drawing Spencer's fifth foul. That opened the middle more for Ellison, who was too quick on the break for Randy Breuer.

Eackles scored the first seven Washington points in the period, and Ellison's fast-break layin with 8:53 left gave the Bullets a 91-85 lead. Then, after Ellison missed a shot and fell, he made the play of the game.

Hustling all the way, he ran the length of the court and stole the ball from Corbin from behind, starting a fast break that Haywoode Workman (eight points, eight assists, six rebounds) finished with a layin. Minnesota got back within five points, but Eackles hit a free throw and Ellison's fast-break dunk made it 98-90 with 5 1/2 minutes left.

Campbell hit a jumper but Eackles made two free throws at 4:47, and hit a jumper 20 seconds later to give the Bullets a 102-92 lead.

"I honestly didn't know what to expect," Unseld said of his team, which had a 2 1/2-hour flight after Thursday's home game against Charlotte. "We got out and {ran}, did the things we had to do."