The University of Maryland basketball team wanted to redeem itself for its 32-point loss Wednesday night to North Carolina. Instead the Terrapins were beaten by 14th-ranked Duke, 94-78, at Cole Field House and may have lost star point guard Walt Williams as well.

Williams injured his left calf after a collision in the first five minutes. The junior, who leads the team in scoring, was scheduled for X-rays today; preliminary reports said he had a deep bruise, although team officials feared that the lower leg might be broken.

Williams was taken out of the game at the time of his injury but returned seconds later. He took another short break midway through the half and, in obvious pain, adjourned to the locker room with 4:59 remaining.

Although he was back in the lineup at the start of the second half, Williams left for good with 12:27 remaining, after scoring 11 points in 21 minutes.

"I got caught in an awkward position; the leg hurt but I thought I could still run, then I got kicked the second time," said Williams. "Coach {Gary Williams} told me he didn't want me to play at the start of the second half but I was going to try anyway. I just couldn't put much weight on it though."

Maryland (8-6, 1-3 in the ACC) was behind 66-49 when Williams left for the last time and by 72-52 with 10:40 left. At that point, the Terrapins' defensive pressure momentarily took Duke (12-3, 2-1) out of its game, forcing four turnovers and a missed shot in five possessions.

Maryland closed to 72-60 with 8:12 remaining to the delight of the sellout crowd. After forcing the Blue Devils into another four turnovers -- Duke had 24 for the game, with 11 in the final 10 minutes -- the Terrapins got within 80-70 with 4:53 to play on two free throws by Vince Broadnax.

"We got the big lead then lost our concentration for a few minutes," said Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski. "If you do that and the other team quits, you don't notice. If the other team keeps playing, though, it can drive you crazy. You have to give Maryland credit for continuing to play hard."

Duke lost the ball again after Broadnax's foul shots, but it was recovered after a scramble by Duke forward Brian Davis. Play continued to the other end of the court, but before a shot could be taken Gerry Donaghy called a technical foul on Maryland assistant Billy Hahn.

Bill McCaffrey made both free throws and Duke kept possession of the ball. Guard Bobby Hurley hit a three-point field goal to make it 85-70.

Maryland got back within 11 points, but a layup by Davis and two free throws each by Thomas Hill and Crawford Palmer put the game out of reach.

Hurley scored a career-high 26 points (including five three-point field goals) to lead all scorers. The sophomore point guard also had 10 assists. Cedric Lewis led Maryland with 19 points, 11 rebounds and 7 blocked shots. The defeat snapped Maryland's 10-game victory string at home.

It was the second consecutive game that an opposing guard hit five three-pointers en route to a career-high against Maryland -- North Carolina's Hubert Davis scored 25 in Wednesday's blowout.

With Maryland perhaps still smarting from that game, Duke scored yesterday's first 10 points and the Terps turned over the ball three times. They finally got on the scoreboard on a short jumper by Kevin McLinton at 17:23.

"I didn't have any doubts that we'd come back and play hard, but if you lose a game by 30 points there are some questions that you're going to have to answer," said Gary Williams. "We had to settle down and get ready to play against another nationally ranked team. It wasn't easy, but I liked the way we played in the last 30 minutes."