One game was postponed last night in reaction to the United States's bombardment of Iraq, but questions were raised about whether others should follow.

The only event to be called off was the University of North Carolina's Atlantic Coast Conference basketball game against North Carolina State in Chapel Hill, N.C. But the National Hockey League's all-time scoring leader, Wayne Gretzky of the Los Angeles Kings, said he thinks the league should postpone its All-Star Game, scheduled for Saturday in Chicago.

North Carolina Chancellor Paul Hardin made the announcement to the crowd gathering at the Dean Smith Physicial Activities Center at approximately 8:35 p.m., about 35 minutes before the game was scheduled to begin.

"This is just a moment of recognition that our lives are changing," Hardin said in a brief news conference after the announcement. "This is not a moment to play basketball."

But Gretzky, whose opinions often have as much impact on the NHL as his game, said after the Kings' loss in Hartford: "If I had any say, I'd cancel the {All-Star} Game. I'd tell everybody to go home and evaluate what is going on."

The National Football League said earlier on Wednesday it has no plans to postpone either its conference championship games, scheduled for this Sunday in Buffalo and San Francisco, or the Super Bowl, scheduled for Jan. 27 in Tampa. Joe Browne, the NFL's vice president of communications, said last night the league had "no further elaboration on what we've said {to play as scheduled}. Like the rest of the nation, we are closely watching the events of the day."

The National Basketball Association said it would "seek additional guidance from the White House and the State Department" today before making scheduling decisions, but players and fans reacted emotionally to the attack. In Milwaukee, Bucks players formed a circle and held hands before their victory over Indiana, and fans in the stands at Bradley Center also held hands before singing the national anthem.

The Professional Golfers Association Tour announced it is not planning any schedule changes, but is reviewing its tournaments for the next six weeks "with an eye toward security," public relations director Sid Wilson said.

The basketball game at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis went on, but after the bombing was announced at halftime of the Richmond-Navy game about half the crowd of 800 left Halsey Field House.

Navy Coach Pete Herrmann learned of the attack just before the game but decided not to tell his players. "I thought the best thing at that point was to just go out and play the game and go from there," he said.

Herrmann said the news hit the team hard because former captain Cliff Rees is a Marine stationed in Saudi Arabia. Rees's parents were in the stands for last night's game.

Earlier in the day, Naval Academy Athletic Director Jack Lengyel said that the academy's intercollegiate athletic schedule probably would not be affected by the Persian Gulf crisis unless its campus was determined to be a target for hostility against the United States. Sports information director Tom Bates noted there was no precedent for such action, saying the academy did not cancel its sports seasons during World War II, the Korean War or Vietnam.

Canceling the season "is a possibility" only if the academy or its students were considered to be placed in jeopardy, Lengyel said last night. The academy likely will have to tighten its security, however, which will cause inconveniences for people trying to attend an indoor track meet there Friday or any one of several events at the school on Saturday.

Naval Academy graduate and San Antonio Spurs center David Robinson would be assigned in Washington if he is called to active duty, a Navy official told the Associated Press. But Cmdr. Dottie Schmidt said Robinson probably will not be called up.

"He's currently not assigned to a unit, so his chances of being called up are slim," said Schmidt, with the Naval Reserve Force in New Orleans.

A lieutenant junior grade, Robinson has expertise in building runways. He would be assigned to the Naval Facilities Engineering Command in Washington, Schmidt said.

"I don't consider myself any different than anybody else, so if I go, I'll go eagerly," Robinson said Tuesday night after the Spurs lost to the Utah Jazz in Salt Lake City.

North Carolina's Hardin made the decision after consulting with N.C. State Chancellor Larry Monteith and both spoke with their school's coaches before the announcement was made.

Hardin said no date had been determined to make up the game. Neither Hardin nor Monteith said he had considered his next course of action because both schools have games on Saturday.

"Ballgames and life go on during times of war," Hardin said. "Most of us remember times of war when you conduct life as near normally as possible. Therefore, there will be a resumption of, more or less, normal activities. When that will seem appropriate, I can't tell at this moment."

"I think people will certainly understand that the importance of the basketball game pales considerably in comparison to what's on the minds of a lot of Americans and a lot of others in the world that we live in tonight," North Carolina Athletic Director John Swofford said.

One person at the game who had the Persian Gulf war very much on his mind was North Carolina senior center Pete Chilcutt, whose brother is part of Operation Desert Storm. Chilcutt did not comment when it was announced the war had begun and the game was postponed, but two of his teammates, Rick Fox and King Rice, said they didn't believe Chilcutt would have played.

Hardin said the moment could become "critical and devastating . . . including casualties among friends and loved ones, and it just doesn't seem to make much sense to play basketball right now."

Staff writer Steve Berkowitz contributed to this report.