TAMPA, JAN. 28 -- The New York Giants took their formal bows today as Ottis Anderson accepted the Super Bowl MVP trophy and sports car, and a smiling Coach Bill Parcells spoke of the thrill of winning a second championship in five seasons.

Anderson and Parcells showed up at a morning news conference only hours after their Giants defeated the Buffalo Bills, 20-19, Sunday night at Tampa Stadium in the closest Super Bowl ever.

Anderson accepted the Pete Rozelle Trophy after gaining 102 yards on 21 carries and announced that, while Disney World was nice, the place he'd really like to go is Saudi Arabia to visit the American troops. The Disney people are trying to arrange the trip.

"We're trying to work it out to see if it's possible," Anderson said. "I don't know if we can because of the security problem. But I'd like to. I think it'd be a way to show our troops we care. It's a way to send something back to them."

The Giants have a locker room full of remarkable stories and Anderson is only one of them. There's Jeff Hostetler, the backup quarterback who became the starter in the 14th game when Phil Simms was injured. He survived a first-half pounding Sunday and still played a mistake-free game, completing 20 of 32 passes for 222 yards and a touchdown.

There are Parcells and defensive coordinator Bill Belichick, who used five and six defensive backs and sometimes as few as two defensive linemen to confuse the NFL's highest-scoring offense. There are veterans Everson Walls, Dave Duerson and Lawrence McGrew, all of whom came to the Giants in 1990 after being let go by other teams.

Finally, there's Anderson, the 33-year-old running back who this season became the eighth NFL back to break the 10,000-yard barrier. He arrived in New York from St. Louis in 1986 and the price was a red-tag special: second- and seventh-round draft picks.

The message was clear: He was too old, had been hit too often and was on the downside of a decent career. Even today, accepting the honors, he admitted that youngsters Rodney Hampton (injured for the Super Bowl) and Dave Meggett will be the Giants' featured backs next season.

He admitted too that he might not even make the team and reckoned he'll again be left unprotected in Plan B free agency later this week.

"It's kind of a tradition," he said. "If I wasn't on Plan B, I'd be insulted. I get a kick out of hoping the phone rings and somebody gives me a big offer."

He smiled toward Parcells and winked. "I don't think I'm going anywhere," he said, "but if I got a real big offer. . . . "

He smiled again. "No, no one is going to call," he said. "I know that. I know the Giants can't justify protecting me. Hampton, Meggett and {Lewis} Tillman are the wheels for our running game. Me, I'll be 34 years old. I'll be used as a third-down back, on special teams and to block on linebackers. The load just fell on me these last few weeks because Rodney got hurt."

Parcells spoke several times last week about "my guys. They're the ones who take care of things. When you've got Ottis Anderson and Bart Oates and Mark Bavaro and Lawrence Taylor and Everson Walls and Leonard Marshall, they know what needs to be done. You can walk over to Anderson and say, 'Tell Meggett to get his ass in gear,' and it'll be done. They tell guys, 'Here's what he wants from you.' "

None of his guys is quite like Anderson. Remember the Ottis and Theotis Show in St. Louis? Ottis Anderson and Theotis Brown burst onto the scene in 1979, and Anderson made his debut with 193 yards against Dallas and went on to win rookie of the year and Pro Bowl honors after gaining 1,605 yards.

He never had another season like that. Often injured and infrequently used, he was given up on by the Cardinals in 1986. Parcells wanted him as an insurance policy for Joe Morris and Anderson wound up on the Giants' first Super Bowl team, even scoring a touchdown in the big one.

"I was more of a spectator," he recalled. "I was brought in late and felt I didn't deserve anything to get the ring. This is definitely sweeter."

But he grew on Parcells. He's smart and personable and accepted whatever role he was asked to play. Oates, the center, said it's a pleasure to block for him "because he's so smart. He sees everything. He takes advantage of whatever's there."

When Anderson gained 1,023 yards in 1989, he bought his offensive linemen the standard Rolex watches. But when he passed 10,000 yards in 1990, the offensive line bought him an engraved Rolex.

Anderson played a key role in this first Super Bowl free of turnovers and the first in which the lead changed hands four times and was headed for a fifth when Buffalo's Scott Norwood missed a 47-yard field goal with four seconds to go.

Anderson and the Giants call their style "smash-mouth football." In this era of glitzy offenses and high-octane passing, they proved again that defense and the running game still make a winning combination.

That's how the Giants sent football's No. 1 offense to the sidelines. Literally. The Giants controlled the ball for a Super Bowl record 40 1/2 minutes, including a numbing 22 1/2 of a 30-minute second half.

The Bills averaged 6.6 yards per snap, but didn't get enough snaps to make the difference. The first time they touched the ball in the second half was with 5:31 left in the third quarter, after the Giants had eaten up a record 9:29 in a 14-play, 75-yard touchdown drive.

The Bills got the lead back on Thurman Thomas's 31-yard touchdown run on the first play of the fourth quarter. Thomas finished with 190 yards of total offense and was headed for the MVP award if Norwood had made his kick.

But trailing, 19-17, the Giants ground out a 7 1/2-minute drive, 74 yards in 14 plays, to Matt Bahr's decisive 21-yard field goal with 7:20 remaining.

The Giants then made a big defensive stand, especially on third and eight from the Buffalo 41. Receiver Al Edwards had first-down yardage when cornerback Perry Williams knocked the ball away.

The Bills got the ball a final time with 2:16 left and drove to the New York 29 for Norwood's try.

The game was that even. The Giants owned the clock, but had only a slight edge in yardage (15). The key was the Giants' keeping their offense on the field most of the day, and when the Bills needed a first down they didn't get it, converting none of seven third downs until making one on their last drive.

"We were able to play the way we wanted to play," Parcells said. "We wanted to shorten the game and get their offense off the field. We were able to do that. They've got a very explosive offense and Thurman Thomas is very, very good. But you have to give credit to Hostetler and our ball carriers. They didn't turn the ball over, they ran hard, and when you do that you've got a chance to win."

The Giants did that all season, building every game plan around Taylor and the defense. That's why they turned over the ball only 15 times in 19 games, just once in three postseason victories.

After winning in 1986, the Giants fell to 6-9 and missed the playoffs the next two seasons. Parcells said he has already thought of that, adding: "This is a different group of guys. I think there's more maturity. Whenever you're on top, it's tougher. Everyone gives it their best shot when they play you, and sometimes when players come back to camp they don't understand that."