The traveling road show for Evander Holyfield's first defense of his world heavyweight boxing championship, against George Foreman, rolls into town today as the two promoters and two fighters try to trump up interest in the fight.

Following a similar event yesterday in Atlanta, co-promoter Bob Arum of Las Vegas-based Top Rank Inc., which promotes Foreman's fights, told the Associated Press the bout, scheduled April 19 in Atlantic City, likely would be switched to Caesars Palace in Las Vegas and postponed a week.

According to Arum, Donald Trump, the former billionaire who guaranteed $11 million as a site fee, invoked a "war clause" in the contract and wants to renegotiate the fee and the due date for a $2.5 million payment on the fighters' guarantees. The co-promoters, Arum and Dan Duva of Main Event, which promotes Holyfield's fights, are supposed to receive the payment Saturday.

All of this is another excursion through the mysterious world of boxing and boxing promotion.

Arum was quoted as saying Trump wants to renegotiate the site fee to $5 million to $6 million. Later, Arum told The Washington Post, the figure was incorrect; he said it came from an Atlantic City newspaper report Wednesday. That story said Trump otherwise likely would postpone or cancel the fight, again invoking a "war clause" in the contract, signed Jan. 12 then amended Jan. 20, after the Persian Gulf War started.

A provision in the contract said the fight could be postponed due to an act of God or a war in Atlantic City, Arum said in a telephone interview. But "that hasn't happened," he told the Associated Press.

Trump, according to the wire service, said he has an "active war" clause that allows him to renegotiate the fee to the promoters. He said he does not anticipate postponing the fight, but left open the possibility. "I have the right to postpone the fight until the ravages of war are over," he told the Associated Press.

Trump also cited a drop in Atlantic City visitors since the Persian Gulf War started, especially high rollers from the Far East. Brian Learn, a spokesman for the Atlantic City Convention and Visitors Bureau, said casino and hotel revenues were off 8 percent last month compared to a year ago. But he attributed that more to recession than war.

A Trump executive in Atlantic City said the three sides were talking yesterday. Boorman said the discussions focus on reducing the site fee, but only by about $1 million, and a later date for the $2.5 million payment on the fighters' purses.

Arum said he has not participated. "Donald called a few times and asked me to come to a meeting Saturday" in New York, he said. "I'm not going. But I've got partners" Duva and pay-per-view mogul Shelly Finkel.

Trump was unavailable to comment further late yesterday.

Arum said Trump was in breach of several points of the contract and had five days "to cure" them.

"I'm particularly offended by the way this was handled," Arum said in the telephone interview. "If {Trump} had wanted to sit down and work things out, that would have been different. But he's not going to do it through intimidation."

Arum has wanted to stage the fight in Las Vegas all along, but Mike Boorman, a spokesman for New Jersey-based Main Event, said the Trump renegotiations are "getting blown out of proportion. There are some minor negotiations that are going on. We think it more than likely will be at Trump Plaza. . . . Arum tends to go a little overboard at times."

Boorman said he would have used a stronger word than "likely," perhaps "definite." "But," he said, "things are never definite in boxing."