All of the favorites in the 83rd Indianapolis 500 had disappeared this afternoon, and two unlikely contenders, Kenny Brack and Robby Gordon, were entering the final two laps low on gas.

Gordon led 29 of the last 30 laps, but it was his car that ran out of fuel with one lap left, allowing Brack and car owner A.J. Foyt to celebrate as Brack's Dallara-Oldsmobile Aurora coasted the 200th and final trip around Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indianapolis 500 victory.

Brack, a Swede who won the Indy Racing League points championship last year, outshone a field that featured Arie Luyendyk in his final IndyCar race, Row 1 starter Greg Ray, defending champion Eddie Cheever Jr. and highly regarded Scott Goodyear. Except for Cheever, whose engine failed, those drivers wrecked out of the race on a day that included eight caution flags, five crashes and a rare accident involving a crew chief on pit road.

Brack, who gave four-time Indianapolis 500 winner Foyt his first victory as an owner, led 66 laps and had an average speed of 199.141 miles per hour in an extremely competitive race that saw 17 lead changes among seven drivers.

"I don't know what this means yet, but I've been practicing drinking milk all week," said Brack, referring to the Victory Lane ritual. "I'm happy for A.J. and for myself. I think I'm more happy for me [because] he has won it four times already."

The day was marred, however, when Energizer Advanced Formula crew chief Steve Fried was struck by a car on pit road. Fried suffered head and chest injuries and was taken to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, where he was listed in critical but stable condition.

During a pit stop on Lap 12, rookie Jeret Schroeder's car collided with Jimmy Kite's, forcing Kite into the car of rookie Robbie McGehee, whose right front tire hit Fried.

Indianapolis Motor Speedway medical director Henry Bock said Fried was "able to follow commands, and gave the thumbs-up sign." After the race, Bell Auto Racing, the world's largest producer of motorsports helmets, announced plans to devote more research into the development of a pit crew helmet.

Only 14 cars from the field of 33 completed the race. Luyendyk was 22nd, but had to leave the race after leading 63 laps when he crashed at the 117-lap mark. Tony Stewart, who also participated in the Coca-Cola 600 tonight in Concord, N.C., finished ninth. McGehee made an impressive debut, finishing fifth at 197.841 miles per hour, and rookie and Oakton High graduate John Hollansworth Jr. was 13th at 164.510 miles per hour.

All three entrants from Foyt's PowerTeam fared well in the race. In addition to Brack's victory, Billy Boat was third and Robbie Buhl sixth.

"I always wanted to come [to Victory Lane] five times, even if it had to be as an owner," Foyt said. "I didn't think Kenny was going to run out of gas at the end, but I didn't know how he was going to win it because it didn't seem like Gordon was going to run out of gas."

Despite how the race ended, Gordon's owner John Menard said Gordon had about two gallons of gas left at the completion of the race. Brack finished the race with just under five gallons of gas left.

With six laps remaining, Gordon told Menard on their radio that he felt he was running out of fuel.

"Your fuel is okay!" Menard yelled. "Drive! Just drive hard!"

Gordon did just that, but with two laps remaining, he became nervous and screamed over the radio, "I think we're going to run out of fuel!"

Moments later, heading into the final lap, Gordon's car began to sputter, and he had no choice but to pull onto pit road.

"It's very unfortunate," Gordon said. "One lap from winning the Indy 500 -- imagine that. The gauge was showing 2.3 gallons [of fuel] left heading into the second lap. After that lap, I saw the fuel was empty, and I said, ~`Ah, [shucks]! I ran out."

Luyendyk's day came to an end with 83 laps remaining, when it seemed he would only increase his lead. Today, Luyendyk, 45, who won the race in 1990 and 1997 and announced his retirement plans last November, led the first lap of the Indianapolis 500 for the first time ever. He relinquished the lead to Ray on Lap 33 and Lap 45, but regained it on Lap 99 when he made an impressive move to pass Ray and Brack.

But as he was attempting to pass Tyce Carlson, Luyendyk had to touch his brakes unexpectedly when Carlson slid down in front of him. Luyendyk's car spun out of control and into the wall, ending his IndyCar career.

Luyendyk slammed down his gloves on the side of the track and shook his head in disappointment. In the garage area after the race, Carlson went and told Luyendyk that his radio was not working when Luyendyk was attempting to pass, keeping him from receiving a warning from a spotter.

"When the field is this tight, I have to be smarter," Luyendyk said. "I said to myself, `Why didn't you just pass him later?' It was stupid. But I had so much fun today. I drove the race with a smile on my face.

"When I got out of the car on Turn 3, the crowd went bananas. That shows what this race is all about. Guys like Robby Gordon and Kenny Brack proved that is true today."

CAPTION: Arie Luyendyk, who says he's retiring, walks away from his car -- and his career -- after crashing into wall on Turn 3.

CAPTION: Victorious Kenny Brack holds the milk in one hand and car owner A.J. Foyt{mdash}a four-time Indianapolis 500 winner{mdash}in his other hand after capturing the 83rd running at the Brickyard.