The Woburn golf course in Bedfordshire, England, was sealed off after bombs were discovered during work on a drainage ditch adjacent to the course.
Eighteen bombs, believed to date from World War II, were removed from the site before the British Army resumed the search for more devices.
Woburn is scheduled to stage the women's British Open in August and men's British Masters in September. "It hasn't affected us," a spokesman for the course said. "It's been cleared up now and it's all been handled."
Chris Beard, a former LSU player now a defensive back in the Indoor Professional Football League, is paralyzed and on a respirator after being hurt in a game in Baton Rouge, La.
Beard injured his neck while making a tackle for the Bayou Beast Saturday night against Texas and underwent surgery Monday, said Beast General Manager-Coach Ted Knapp.
Beard cannot move his arms or legs, cannot speak and is on a respirator in the intensive care unit of Our Lady of the Lake Hospital, Knapp said. Beard was listed in guarded condition.
Ejected and Dejected
Another father is causing problems in women's tennis.
The father of Australian player Jelena Dokic was ejected from a Wimbledon warmup tournament in Birmingham, England, for shouting abuse at officials during his daughter's match. He was later arrested for lying down in traffic and jumping on the hood of a car.
Police said Damir Dokic had been drinking and was arrested "for his own safety." He was not charged and was released three hours after his arrest, "when he sobered up."
Jelena Dokic's first-round match Tuesday against Rita Grande of Italy was suspended because of rain with the Australian leading the third set 2-1. When play resumed yesterday, Grande rallied to win, 2-6, 6-3, 9-7.
"The thing that disturbs me is that I didn't think he had done anything wrong--just shouting a few 'come ons,' " Jelena Dokic, 17, said. "I definitely think the English are a bit fussy."
Damir Dokic was removed by security guards at the DFS Classic at Edgbaston on Tuesday and banned from the rest of the tournament. If he causes further trouble, he risks a long ban from all women's events. . . .
Yevgeny Kafelnikov lost his No. 1 ranking when he was beaten at the Queen's Club tournament in London by Sargis Sargsian, an Armenian ranked 74th in the world.
The loss, coupled with No. 2 Patrick Rafter's defeat in a German tournament, sets up No. 3 Pete Sampras to regain the No. 1 ranking next week.
Kafelnikov double-faulted 10 times in losing his second-round match, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. The Russian had a bye in the first round of the grass-court tuneup for Wimbledon.
Kafelnikov has won only one title all year and has lost his opening match in seven of his last 10 tournaments. In the French Open, he was ousted in the second round.
The International Skating Union suspended two judges but said it would not change the results of a controversial competition.
ISU general secretary Fredi Schmid said that it could not be determined whether the judges' collusion had affected the results of the world championships pairs competition at Helsinki in March.
Russia's Yelena Berzhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze won the gold medal over China's Shen Xue and Zhao Hongbo, in a decision that elicited boos from the crowd.
Russian judge Sviatoslav Babenko received a three-year ban and Alfred Korytek of Ukraine was banned for two years. They will not be allowed to officiate at any championship or international event under ISU jurisdiction.
"We had an investigation, and the conclusions were there was obviously misconduct," Schmid said.
Footage shot by Canadian television showed the two judges glancing at each other and appearing to talk before the results for the Chinese pair were announced.
The two judges also ranked another Russian pair third, while six of the seven other judges ranked them fourth or fifth.
ISU rules say "judges must mark independently and, while judging, they are not permitted to converse with one another or to indicate errors by action or sound."
Suit Over Ali Movie
Columbia Pictures has asked a federal judge in Roanoke, Va., to dismiss a $50 million lawsuit over the rights to a movie about the life of former heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali.
If the suit's allegations are true, Ali should be the defendant rather than the movie company and its parent, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Columbia attorney Jim Quinn told U.S. District Judge Samuel Wilson.
But the plaintiffs, former Ali spiritual adviser Jabir Herbert Muhammad of Chicago and Jason Hirschfeld, the son of Ali's former lawyer, did not name Ali a defendant in the suit filed in March.
The suit alleges that Muhammad and Hirschfeld are partners with Ali in Muhammad Ali Productions Inc., which the suit said was formed in Virginia in 1988, when Ali lived near Charlottesville, to "own, develop and commercialize any authorized biographical or autobiographical story of the life and times of Ali."
Dale Cooter, the attorney for the plaintiffs, contended that Ali did not have the authority to sell the rights to his life story and that Columbia's movie, which is to star Will Smith, bars any hope of Muhammad or Hirschfeld making a film.
Federal investigators have interviewed the maker of a pistol reportedly given to International Olympic Committee President Juan Antonio Samaranch by Salt Lake Olympic organizers.
The engraved 9mm, high-powered pistol--made by Browning Arms Co. of Mountain Green, Utah--now sits in the IOC museum in Lausanne, Switzerland.
The pistol was sold to the Salt Lake Organizing Committee in 1991, said Rich Bauter, Browning's vice president of marketing.
He said he has no way of knowing who got the gun. The Salt Lake Tribune reported yesterday it was given to Samaranch.
Whether Samaranch--or someone else--packed the pistol back to Lausanne or it was shipped by SLOC officials remains unclear.
Either way, the transfer may have violated federal weapons laws.
Washington Post columnist Michael Wilbon won the 1999 Society of Professional Journalists' Washington Dateline Award for excellence in local journalism for his column on former Coolidge High football coach Reesie Morgan.
CAPTION: Being ousted in the second round of the Queen's Club tournament is doubly painful for Yevgeny Kafelnikov: The defeat cost him his No. 1 ATP ranking.