Argentina set up a quarterfinal showdown with Brazil by beating Uruguay, 2-0, yesterday in Copa America Group C play. Colombia eliminated Ecuador, 2-1, to finish undefeated and atop the group. Uruguay also qualified for the round of eight in Luque, Paraguay.

Argentina needed 67 seconds to take the lead when Cristian Gonzalez put a free kick past goaltender Hector Carini. Martin Palermo also scored.

Colombia Coach Javier Alvarez saw his side keep up its winning ways despite several changes he made to avoid suspensions or injuries to key players heading into the quarterfinals.

The first serious attempt on goal came from Colombian striker Hamilton Ricard, who plays his club football for English Premiership side Middlesbrough. Ricard forced a save by Ecuador goalkeeper Jose Cevallos.

Colombia took the lead after 36 minutes when Ricard played the ball through to Henry Zambrano, who sent the ball back with his heel to Neider Morantes, who fired it home off the right goal post.

Just three minutes later Ricard made it 2-0, shrugging off two challenges before scoring.

The forward, who has missed a host of chances during the Copa, including one from the penalty spot against Argentina, was mobbed by his teammates.

In the 50th minute, Ecuador halved its deficit when Graziani raced from the halfway line before beating keeper Higuita with a low left-footed shot. It was the first goal Colombia had conceded in the tournament. . . .

Copa America and FIFA officials confirmed that the result of Tuesday's match between Brazil and Chile, interrupted in the 85th minute by dense fog, would stand 1-0 in favor of Brazil.

MLS: Wolde Harris scored two first-half goals to lead visiting Colorado to a 2-1 victory over Kansas City.

Harris scored the game-winner in the 40th minute. Wizards defender Brian Johnson was called for a foul in the box for a tackle against Anders Limpar.

Harris made the ensuing penalty kick into the lower left corner of the net.

Harris scored his first goal in the 22nd minute, shooting underneath goaltender David Winner from the right side.

Kansas City answered three minutes later when Alex Bunbury headed a pass from Preki into the goal.