The first paraplegic climber to scale El Capitan in Yosemite National Park reached the top of the 3,200-foot peak again, hoisting himself six inches at a time along a more difficult route.

Mark Wellman, 39, of Truckee, Calif., has had only partial movement in his legs since a 1982 climbing accident. The first paraplegic to scale El Capitan 10 years ago, he tackled the tougher "Nose" route this time, reaching the top about 8 p.m. Thursday.

"We pushed long and hard and knew we could nail it down if we made a final big push to the top," Wellman said.

Wellman and climbing partner Mike Corbett, 45, started their ascent July 19, loaded down with 250 pounds of supplies. Wellman hoisted himself up by doing pull-ups on a special T-bar system.

Their goal was to reach the top in seven days, which would have put them on the summit July 26--10 years to the day after their 1989 feat. But strong winds and difficult horizontal traverses slowed them.

Wellman said his message to the disabled was "to climb whatever mountain that is the barrier in their life. And that can be anything."

Track and Field

Greene Wins 100 In Stockholm, Maurice Greene ran one of the fastest 100 meters ever, surging from the blocks and winning in 9.87 seconds at the DN Galan Grand Prix meet.

With almost no wind, Greene was just eight-hundredths of a second off the world record he set last month in Greece.

"It just thrills me how well I'm running at the moment," Greene said. "This is a special stadium, a special meet. But it was not even close to a perfect race."

Michael Johnson had a far rougher day. The double Olympic champion in 1996 abandoned the 400-meter race after about 100 meters, apparently pulling a right thigh muscle. Jerome Young of the United States won in 44.64.

"This is not the way I would have wanted to win, with Michael having to pull out," Young said. "But a win is a win. I just concentrated on my own race and I never was aware that Michael stopped."

Johnson left the stadium without comment and with a bandaged right thigh.

Auto Racing

IRL Out of Charlotte? The promoter of the speedway where three spectators were killed during an Indy Racing League event in May is leaning toward not bringing the series back to the track. Speedway Motorsports Inc. is concerned about how questions of fan safety, declining attendance and car design could affect the IRL's future at Lowe's Motor Speedway near Charlotte, company president H.A. "Humpy" Wheeler said.

"We're really taking a hard look at Charlotte," Wheeler said. "The IRL people are good people. We don't want to drop them. But at the same time, we've got shareholders we've got to appease. So we're going to continue to study this thing."

Wheeler said officials of Concord-based SMI have until mid-October to make a final decision on whether to bring the IRL back next year to the 1.5-mile, high-banked superspeedway.


Riders Pass Test

All the cyclists in the Tour de France passed their drug tests, world cycling's governing body said. The International Cycling Union said it tested riders during every stage of the three-week race and there were no positive results.


Overbeck Visits

Women's World Cup co-captain Carla Overbeck will sign autographs at River Hill High School in Columbia at 1 p.m. Sunday. Overbeck is appearing in conjunction with the Ulman Cancer Fund Soccer Classic collegiate all-star game. . . . The Washington Mystics' final open practice of the season is at 3 p.m. on Wednesday at MCI Center. The first 500 fans receive a pass to attend an autograph session after practice. Admission is free.