After scoring 32 runs in the first two games of the National Amateur Baseball Federation College Division World Series, the Bethesda Big Train struggled to hit the ball last night and lost to the Mount Airy Sharks, 8-4, at Arundel High School.

Jamie Moylan (DeMatha) went 3 for 5 with a double and three RBI as the Sharks improved to 3-0 in the double-elimination tournament. Bethesda, which defeated the Bloomington Bobcats, 14-1, earlier in the day, fell to 2-1. Mount Airy plays today at 3 p.m. at Joe Cannon Stadium in Dorsey, Md. Bethesda plays at noon.

"We got outplayed," said Bethesda Manager Derek Hacopian, whose team advanced to the tournament by placing second in the Clark C. Griffith Collegiate Baseball League. "We got outhit and outpitched. We just ran into a better team tonight."

Mount Airy took control in the eighth inning. With the score tied at 4, the Sharks sent nine men to the plate and scored four runs on five hits. Jared Ross had a bunt single, Ryan Avila hit an RBI single to right, Jeremy Hancock hit an RBI double to left and Moylan roped a two-run double to right.

Bethesda got two runners on base in the eighth as Jason Graham and John Elder each walked, but Mount Airy second baseman Guy Robertson made a diving catch in short right field to end the inning. Bethesda went down in order in the ninth.

Bethesda took a 1-0 lead in the second as Chuck Easter doubled and scored on a sacrifice fly by Pat Cunningham. Mount Airy scored two in the fifth as Mike Harp, Everett Cooper and Ross each singled. But Bethesda tied the game in the bottom of the inning as Stephen Thomas walked, stole second and scored on a single to center by left fielder Gregg Davies (2 for 4).

Mount Airy took a 3-2 lead in the sixth as Moylan singled and scored on a bases-loaded walk to Cooper. But Bethesda answered again in the bottom of the inning as catcher Chad Oliva hit a solo home run to left.

The Sharks retook the lead in the seventh as Steve Ousler (St. John's) doubled and scored on a single by Moylan. But the Big Train tied the game again in the bottom of the inning. Thomas reached on a fielder's choice, stole second and scored on a single to left by Davies.