Over the past month, DeMatha tailback Anthony Riley has put together one of the most impressive stretches seen in Washington area high school football. Yesterday, against the area's stingiest defense, Riley continued his splendid season.

Riley rushed for 202 yards and two touchdowns on 29 carries to lead third-ranked DeMatha to its seventh consecutive victory, a 14-6 Washington Catholic Athletic Conference triumph over No. 8 Gonzaga before 2,000 at Parkdale High in Riverdale. The Eagles had held opponents to an average of 2.7 points entering the game.

It was the fifth consecutive game Riley, a 5-foot-7, 175-pound junior, rushed for at least 200 yards. He has rushed for 1,653 yards and 20 touchdowns this season.

Gonzaga played the second half without Coach Maus Collins, who became dizzy during halftime and was taken by fire and rescue officials to Prince George's Hospital Center in Landover, where he underwent tests, Gonzaga Athletic Director Jerry Radford said.

Collins, 68, has diabetes and was believed to have had a low blood-sugar level, Radford said. Later last night, Radford said that Collins had been transferred to Montgomery General Hospital in Olney for further evaluation.

After becoming ill, Collins walked a short distance from Gonzaga's huddle to the first row of bleachers adjacent to the field. He sat there until an ambulance arrived, then walked into the ambulance. He was transferred into a pickup truck operated by fire and rescue officials and taken to the hospital.

The start of the second half was delayed about 30 minutes while medical officials attended to Collins.

DeMatha Coach Bill McGregor met with Radford near midfield and offered to suspend the game until a later date. McGregor said Radford declined the offer, saying, "Maus's wish was for the game to continue."

Gonzaga (6-1-1 overall, 3-1-1 WCAC) controlled the ball most of the second half but failed to score. Two drives ended in interceptions by DeMatha's Sean McQuinn.

DeMatha, which led 7-6 at halftime, added to its lead on its first possession of the second half. The Stags drove 71 yards on seven consecutive rushing plays.

One thing that slowed Riley was when he lost his shoe on the second play of the drive and had to come out for three plays. On his second play after returning, Riley bounced outside and ran down the left sideline untouched for a 31-yard touchdown and a 14-6 lead with 2 minutes 16 seconds left in the third quarter.

"Anthony has made play after play all year," said McGregor, whose team is 19-0-1 since losing to Gonzaga in the 1997 WCAC championship game. "He just has great peripheral vision."

The victory gave DeMatha (7-0-1, 5-0) a one-game lead in the WCAC over second-place Gonzaga with two games remaining.