The American University men's soccer team spoiled senior day at Georgetown yesterday, defeating the Hoyas, 2-1, at Harbin Field.

After Brett Colton and Adam Rosen scored first-half goals, the Eagles (7-8-0) weathered eight corner kicks and 13 shots by the Hoyas in the second half and allowed only sophomore Kenny Owens's strike in the 53rd minute.

Georgetown (8-7-1) started eight of its nine seniors after honoring them in a pregame ceremony. Four made their first start of the season, including goalkeeper Ehren Halse-Stumberg, who started in place of senior Tyler Purtill, the school's career shutout leader.

American looked shaky in the back early, but Georgetown was unable to muster a shot on goal in the first half.

American freshman forward Nino Marcantonio set up Colton's goal in the 19th minute by cutting the ball inside Georgetown defender Michael Gross and sending it to Colton, unmarked at the top of the penalty area. Colton placed a 20-yard shot in the lower left corner of the net.

Rosen's goal in the 39th minute was similar. After receiving a pass from Marcantonio, Rosen lashed a shot from almost the same spot where Colton scored, beating Halse-Stumberg and hitting the stanchion in the back left corner of the goal.

"The defense was backing off me and I had just gotten yelled at [by assistant coach Todd West] for not shooting, so I took it," Rosen said. "It turned out to be a pretty good hit."

Marcantonio, an All-Met at Churchill last fall, has five assists the past two games and 10 this season.

"Nino is around the ball so much that sometimes he will be in a position to score and sometimes he won't," American Coach Bob Jenkins said. "Teams have been doing what they can to keep him away from the goal area, so he's done a good job recognizing that and making passes."

Georgetown tried to turn the game around in the second half, allowing the Eagles just two shots. Owens made the Hoyas' dominance pay off when he headed Kevin Shaw's corner kick and poked in the rebound after the ball was blocked.

American junior goalkeeper Michael Gorsinger made four saves, the best of which came on a dipping, 22-yard bid from Shaw with less than two minutes remaining.

"There was no effort to win the game in the first half on our part," Georgetown Coach Keith Tabatznik said. "In the first half, people were standing around watching and you can't play just one half and expect to win."