The Maryland 3A quarterfinal at Annapolis was filled with clutch and complicated plays. But it was two of the simplest plays that helped Damascus pull out a dramatic victory.

Joe Tippett scored on a one-yard run and Jon Genua added the extra point to give No. 8 Damascus a 28-27 victory over No. 13 Annapolis in overtime last night.

Damascus (10-1) advances to next weekend's state semifinal against No. 1 Seneca Valley in a rematch of the Oct. 15 game that Seneca won, 28-6.

The Swarmin' Hornets had taken a 21-13 lead when quarterback Mac Mollet ran for a three-yard touchdown and then threw to Drew King for the two-point conversion with 2 minutes 41 seconds remaining in the third quarter.

Annapolis drove deep into Damascus territory once after that, but missed on a fourth-down play from the Swarmin' Hornets 15 with 3:53 left. Damascus tried to run out the clock, but the Panthers got the ball back at their 43 with 42 seconds left.

Rayvon Johnson (183 yards, 26 carries) of Annapolis then showed why he's one of the Washington area's best running backs. He ran three times for 23 yards, and quarterback Mike Phaneuf completed two passes, the final one a dramatic 12-yard touchdown to Kevan Simms with seven seconds left.

Johnson then ran for the two-point conversion to tie the score at 21 and force overtime. His 183-yard effort pushed him past Martel Threadkill of Broadneck as Anne Arundel County's all-time leading rusher. Johnson has 4,047 career yards, 1,986 for the season.

The Panthers got the ball first in the overtime, and Johnson ran for a 10-yard touchdown on third and goal. But Kevin Flynn of Damascus then partially blocked Jagman Chahal's extra point.

That opened the door for Damascus. The Swarmin' Hornets gained nine yards on their first two plays, and Tippett ran for the one-yard score. He had been injured late in the first half and missed the last two quarters before returning for the winning play.

Genua had been named as a place kicker on the all-state team but missed an extra point in the third quarter. However, he rebounded by making the final two kicks.

Annapolis scored first when Phaneuf lofted a 44-yard touchdown pass to tight end Marvin Charles--his 12th touchdown of the season--with 6:27 left in the half.

The Panthers had gotten their first break on the previous play when Damascus punter Joe Scritchfield had trouble with a low snap and Trevon Williams smothered the punt attempt.

Damascus answered on the ensuing drive, marching 69 yards on 10 plays, capped by Mollet's six-yard touchdown pass to King with 1:03 left in the half that tied the game at 7.

The Swarmin' Hornets took the lead on their second possession of the second half. Mollet completed 3 of 3 passes for 80 yards, including a 50-yard pass to Michael Blackman. Debo Sokefun then scored on a four-yard run with 5:56 left in the quarter for a 13-7 lead.

But Annapolis answered on its next drive. Simms returned the ensuing kickoff 58 yards to the Damascus 29. Johnson then raced around left end for a 29-yard touchdown on the first play and a 13-13 tie.

The Swarmin' Hornets then took the lead on their next possession. Scritchfield returned the kickoff to the Annapolis 44, and Mollet later scored on the three-yard run.